Is there a Microsoft document/link that explains the meanings of different ICONS in FIELDS list in Power BI Desktop?
For example, the below is from "Retail Analysis Sample PBIX". The attached screenshots have many different icons in the FIELDS list.
1) Sales tables is seen as a calculator icon. What is this? this is not a calculated table.
2) Traffic light symbol is supposedly KPIs but I can't find which Microsoft Power BI document describes it.
3) District.[DM] --> What is this icon supposed to mean? If these are meant for UNIQUE fileds, what do they actually do?
I know some people may guessed the meanings of these and others may have heard them on the grapevine, but, isn't there a standard microsoft source explaining what these are?
URL below attemps to do this, but only partly. There are no links to further explain meanings of these, and many icons are missing.
With the update of the field list, there is an MS Docs article that explains it: Using the Field list in Power BI Desktop (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
A full list of Field Icons with explanation as to their meaning can be found here (seems up to date as of 07/07/2020):
It seems that there is no other official documentation to explian Fields list icons.
But here are some explanations for you as a reference:
1) When you create multiple measures in a table and then hide all the columns of this table. save and reopen the pbix file, and it will
change to this icons.
2) This symbol indicates a KPI which is a calculated measures you could create in Power Pivot or SQL Server Analysis Service. When you import the data to the Power BI Desktop, it may look like a Traffic Signal indicator.
3)see the explanation about it https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/What-does-this-icon-in-Field-List-mean/td-p/187427
Thank you for your feedback, It will submit this to power bi documentation team,
and you could refer to these understanding above.
Could you please tell me if you still have the other problem? If not, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?
I think it is inappropriate to mark this question as "answered" because it gives a wrong impression that there is an authoritative source explaining FIELDS List icons. I understand that you cited links to community questions and answeres, however, they are not authoritative and are not in one place.
When the Power BI team updates the documentation, please let me me know so that I can mark this as "answered".
I appreciate your efforts in trying to help.
Welcome to the Power BI Community Show! Jeroen ter Heerdt talks about the importance of Data Modeling.
Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through June10th!
Watch Session 22 Ted's Dev Camp along with past sessions!
Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!