Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mixednuts
Helper II
Helper II

Authentication failure loading visual data in Desktop live connected to AAS model

We are developing a Power BI report set using the December 2020 version of the Power BI desktop connected to an active Azure Analysis Services data model. User authentication is MFA driven.

Quite frequently we get authentication failures, including as we are adding fields to a visual, etc.

Mixednuts_0-1609909995824.png
Attempting a REFRESH after this results in the additional error:

Mixednuts_1-1609910156522.png
The only way to recover seems to be to reconnect to the service via the Data Source settings. 

This can occur frequently during the day even immediatly after a previously successful visual refresh has occurred (suggesting it may not be a timeout issue?)

Any suggestions as to the possible cause or solution?

Thanks,
John

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Mixednuts , there were few issues reported on issue after Dec 2020 release. Check if one of them is what you are looking at 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

View solution in original post

Mixednuts
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks Amitchandak.

Cannot connect to Azure SSAS model since dec 2020 ... - Microsoft Power BI Community seems to be the closest match, but not quite.

We had cleared out cached credentials ealier this month when the 'credentials defaulting to Windows' problem first occurred, however I repeated this action today as suggested. This seems to have fixed the problem for now. I will monitor it further, but thank you for the suggestion,

BTW: We have not yet enabled the preview of the DirectQuery for PBI datasets and Analysis Services.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mixednuts
Helper II
Helper II

Unfortunately, I was a little hasty is my confirmation of a solution. All has been well until I attempted to add a new visual and specify a visual level filter. Basic Filtering reported an error loading a list of values and a subsequent refresh reported an authentication failure reading the schema....

Back to Square One....

Mixednuts
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks Amitchandak.

Cannot connect to Azure SSAS model since dec 2020 ... - Microsoft Power BI Community seems to be the closest match, but not quite.

We had cleared out cached credentials ealier this month when the 'credentials defaulting to Windows' problem first occurred, however I repeated this action today as suggested. This seems to have fixed the problem for now. I will monitor it further, but thank you for the suggestion,

BTW: We have not yet enabled the preview of the DirectQuery for PBI datasets and Analysis Services.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Mixednuts , there were few issues reported on issue after Dec 2020 release. Check if one of them is what you are looking at 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors