Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

charmainer
Helper III
Helper III

Australia maps

I want to generate a Power BI report (Map), where I want to plot States, Suburbs in all states  in  throughout Australia.

currently all its shows is us maps.  could anlyone know please advise what i would need to get this going.

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @charmainer,

Yes, I'm a Power BI Pro user(not Pro Trial), and the ArcGIS Map can be shown on my dashboard.

dashboard.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

Hi @charmainer,

No, just finish the steps here to enable ArcGIS Map for Power BI.Smiley Happy

Regards

Done all those steps already  in desktop.

Will organise my Lic and see if this works. - i will be in touch with my success

Thanks a Million

Cheers

42 REPLIES 42
Archie1
Frequent Visitor

Hi Charmainer,

Initially, I had same issue however I got a soultion for us all.

Steps:

- Create a custom column by concatenating state and country. eg: CustomState - Country 

- For above custom column, set Data Category  = Place 

- Under visualizations, Select "Map"

- Drag "CustomState - Country " field to locaiton.

Please see below screen for more details:

All suburbs on Australia map.PNG

Cheers,

Archie1

rolf1994
Helper II
Helper II

I would also like to know what the status of this problem is...

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@charmainer

When we add a Shape Map in the report, "US: states" is selected for the Map by default. In order to show Australia map instead of US map, you need to go to Visualizations pane with the Format section selected , expand the Shape section and select "Australia: states" for the Map.

australia.PNG

Regards

Hi I am using the New ArcGis within PowerBi desktop, and the  and this has all information i need howewer when i publish it , the map does not show. I guess this another issue now 😞

Thanks All

Cheers

Charmaine

adamhubble
Helper I
Helper I

Using the Shape Map Visual, and these TopoJSON Maps for Power BI, you may be able to get started with what you need. Without more information on your data, it's hard to give specific guidance on how to achieve what you want.

Cheers,
Adam
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You have to have a longitude and latitude values for them to plot on the map. 

Please find attached file at here for the complete set of geocoded data at here. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5-C_3XrFPdORHRlR2prOUIyTzA

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Excellent - Thankyou.

I used ArcGIS that did not need Lat and Long.

Just wnated to know if you have used the ArcGIS control within PowerBI Desktop. ? I am hvaing an issue once i publish the same.

Map is not visible.( via the Service - howerver it works in Desktop)

Hi @charmainer,

Map is not visible.( via the Service - howerver it works in Desktop)

If there is a possibility that ArcGIS Map is disabled in Power BI Service

In Power BI service, users can stop using ArcGIS Maps for Power BI by disabling it on the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview) tab in user Settings. When disabled, ArcGIS Maps will not load by default.

In PowerBI.com, tenant administrators can prevent all tenant users from using ArcGIS Maps for Power BI by disabling. When this happens, Power BI will no longer see the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI icon in the visualizations pane.

Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-arcgis/#managing-use-of-a...

Regards

What appears in admin  portal is only The red ones - NOT yellow- Admin LogonWhat appears in admin portal is only The red ones - NOT yellow- Admin LogonWhat appears in On Power BI -service - MY machineWhat appears in On Power BI -service - MY machine

Hi Jerry,

I have checd the settings witin the admi portal details

(The link says https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-arcgis/#managing-use-of-a...)

Tenant admin options In PowerBI.com, tenant administrators can prevent all tenant users from using ArcGIS Maps for Power BI by disabling. When this happens, Power BI will no longer see the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI icon in the visualizations pane.)

however these are not visble within the admin or tenant options

I have highlighted thye yellow ones that dont appear within Admin Portal.

any suggestions ?

Cheers

Charmaine

Hi @charmainer,

Are you a Power BI Pro user? Based on my test, only Pro user(not for free and Pro trial user) has the option to use ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview) on Power BI service currently.

Regards

On saying that, I have used ArcGis within the PowerBi Desktp - while i am still a PBI pro -n Free Trial user.

wokrs a treat on desktop ... but not within service.

Hi Jerry,

Yes, i am  Pro User - part of the 60 day free trial . The people i have shared the Maps dashboard too have got PB Pro Trial via the Power Bi  service.

May be i should get The Administrator to But the Pro licence and see if after publish report with arc Gis - it displays

Are you a power Bi pro Users? have u managed to deply the Map in a dashboard via the service?

Hi @charmainer,

Yes, I'm a Power BI Pro user(not Pro Trial), and the ArcGIS Map can be shown on my dashboard.

dashboard.PNG

Regards

Hi Jerry

I just got my Power Bi Pro licence..

Opend the Power Bi Desktop... and Published the Page with The ArcGIS Map ...

... I have made sure the settings in the Desktop , has the Tick In PB DesktopIn PB Desktop

However on Publishing the same - The MAp is  Still not visible.

I have asked the Administrator to check the Tenennat options ... However these setings down appear witin his PowerBI Admin Does not appear in Admin Area of PB Service.Does not appear in Admin Area of PB Service.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-arcgis/#managing-use-of-a...)

Any other Ideas ... Tried almost everything 😞

Hi @charmainer,

Has your Power BI Admin enabled ArcGIS Map in Admin Portal?

ap.PNG

ap2.PNG

Regards

What does NOT appear in the service - the highlighted in yellow:-

What appears in admin  portal is only The red ones - NOT yellow- Admin Logon

@charmainer, I get a little confused, with which PBI account the setting is unavailable? In your PBI account or in your administrator's account? As you already figured out, you need a Pro user account to get it work. Please have a double check.

Ok Let calrify my Scene:)

Database : SQL Server 2016,  - Onpremisis.

On My Machine : Power BI Dektop  Setpember 2016 Addittion.

-this one has the ArcGIS control .

I have enabled all settings on My desktop.

map created for Australia - and  settings to preview in Desktop -Ticked.map created for Australia - and settings to preview in Desktop -Ticked.

I Then Publish the Same to PowerBI service.

In power BI Service. I (online) - i am a licenced Power BI pro user. ( I am not the Administrator of Power BI).

- Result  In Power BI service - The Map is not Visible - Black Report. ( however via the PBI desktop it is visible).

The Administraor has enabled the Preview for Users via Admin Portal.

Admin PortalAdmin Portal

As per the recomedations -

from PowerBi https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-arcgis/

this is the step the administrator could not perform as the below options do not appear :-

From Administrator Logon i Got This 😞 not My logon).

The Red crossed - Not availble for Administrator .The Red crossed - Not availble for Administrator .

- does any one have suggestions on how the admin can get these features?

Thanks

Charmaine

@charmainer, thanks for the additional info. Your issue is strange because you should get the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI setting as you have a Pro licensed user account. I will try to involve other senior engineer to have a check on it. 

Hi Vicky. Any update on this issue of ArcGis?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.