Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Attribute not Filtering in Slicer

Good afternoon,

I have an attribute in a hierarchy that filters correctly in Excel when another attribute has a value selected, but is not filtering in Power BI.

As an example, I want to look at the 2018 Academic Year and I want all the offerings from that academic year displayed as a slicer.  In this example, to make it clearer how Excel and Power BI differ, I will show the offerings in a table.

Here is Excel; you can see, by the year in the Description, that the offerings are filtered for 2018:

Excel.png

However, in Power BI, this is what I get; you can see ALL years are returned:

PowerBI.png

If I turn the slicer into a table and add a Measure, it does filter:

PowerBI-2.png

Is this expected behaviour?  Some of my fields are filtering in Power BI based on Academic Year -- this is the only one I've seen that won't filter as a slicer in Power BI, but as above it does work in Excel [note: I am not showing any measures in Excel].

Thanks,
Ian.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please check if your relationship is correct with your different tables, you could refer to below link about the relationship:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships

If it could not help you, I suggest you share your pbix file to have a test if possible.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous ,

Ok, if your problem could be solved, don't forget to mark one reply as answer to close this topic.

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please check if your relationship is correct with your different tables, you could refer to below link about the relationship:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships

If it could not help you, I suggest you share your pbix file to have a test if possible.

Regards,

Daniel He

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Daniel.  As I'm using a Live connection, I cannot access the "Relationships" -- it is greyed out.

I'll see what I can do re a sample file...the data is rather confidential.

Ian.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Ok, if your problem could be solved, don't forget to mark one reply as answer to close this topic.

Regards,

Daniel He

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ian,

I have not worked long with Power BI. But I guess you need to make sure that the table underlining Year should have clear relationship with all other tables being referred to by this chart.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Tracy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Tracy; it seems to as it works in Excel...   But something to check with the developers -- thanks.

Ian.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.