Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jkaelin
Resolver I
Resolver I

Assistance with Shared Dimension

Good morning,

I've built a data model that is helpful, but the model is halted until I can work out this critical step.  The existing method is in Excel and I'm not sure how to apply the "formula / concept" to a Power BI data model.  

Essentially, the existing Excel file just flattened the dimensions.  One of the dimensions referenced other dimensions with an IF THEN statement.  

Below is how the existing Excel report worked.  The Yellow column is what I'm trying to replicate in the data model.  It references the End User Customer column if it's available, if not available, then Bill to Customer column.  My question is how to replicate this in a data model?

Excel Model w/ formulaExcel Model w/ formula

This is the exact same as the image above, with values instead of formula's.  

Excel Version SampleExcel Version Sample

Below is a portion of my data model.  If I need to provide greater detail, please let me know.  I appreciate any tips or help!  Kindly, James

Data ModelData Model

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jkaelin
Resolver I
Resolver I

It appears I fixed my own problem.  I created a DAX calculated column via "Related" to reference the dimension table.  Then in another calculated column, I created another "Related" function.  This calculated column had the =IF THEN statement, tied into a Related function.  This worked!  Thank you.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jkaelin
Resolver I
Resolver I

It appears I fixed my own problem.  I created a DAX calculated column via "Related" to reference the dimension table.  Then in another calculated column, I created another "Related" function.  This calculated column had the =IF THEN statement, tied into a Related function.  This worked!  Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.