Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dayna
Helper V
Helper V

Assistance with Matrix Table to show dimension related to one value

Hello All,

Apologies in advance for my ignorance, I'm fairly new to PowerBI (experienced with QlikView) and struggling to achieve certain things.

My dataset looks like this:

Product Table (i.e. "Blue Jeans")

Product Table links to routings (i.e. Method One, Method Two)

Routings links to RoutingComponents (i.e. Method one has a list of IDs, Method two has a different list of IDs)

RoutingComponents links to Items (i.e. the ingredients listed in the routing components, i.e. Material)

Items links to sub tables with detail about the component (i.e. Material is made of Cotton)

Example data would look like:

Product Code | Status | Description     | Material 1 | Material 2 | Material 3 | Material 4 

RS2021X01    | Active  | Testing Desc   | 305151     | 4151551    | 5841515   | 7051

^^ I've achieved the above by using a Matrix Table, most of my columns are done as rows, then I have one column which is component type, with the value of the component code.

What I want is something like this:

Product Code | Status | Description     | Material 1 | Material 1 Desc | Material 2 | Material 2 Location | etc... 

RS2021X01    | Active  | Testing Desc   | 305151     | Cotton               |   4151551 | London

The supporting value for each material is specific only to that material, i.e. Material 1 has a description in a supporting table, whereas Material 2 doesn't. It has a different table with values that I want to display.

If I add the extra value to my matrix table as a value, then it shows the value correctly, but a blank value for all the columns it doesn't relate to.

Hopefully the above makes sense! Any assistance you can offer would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dayna

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Dayna ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

My apologies, I didn't see a response to this thread! I haven't yet solved my issue - can you advise the best way to upload images / the data model for your input, please?

Many thanks,

Dayna

Hi @Dayna ,

Please always show your sample data in text-tabular format. That allows people trying to help to readily copy the data and run a quick test, plus it increases the likelihood of your question being answered. Just use 'Copy table' in Power BI and paste it here. Or, ideally, share the pbix (beware of confidential data).

If you want to share the image, you could upload your image in OneDrive and then paste link here.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

Thanks for the guidance! 🙂

Here's the table data:

https://eunicepak-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/dayna_litherland_nice-pak_co_uk/EVL0-6MjUUtKlYAON...

And here's an image of this data as a Matrix, I haven't zoomed out entirely, but hopefully it gives you the picture that there's no print types within 'Applicator' as this isn't an option for this field, whereas Material Blends / Applicato Type / Applicator Pattern is null for corrugate.

https://eunicepak-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/dayna_litherland_nice-pak_co_uk/Ea1ACrNq_3hGptDzg...

Thanks for your help!

Many thanks,

Dayna

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Dayna ,

It seems that you have five tables and there are relationships among the tables.

If is convenient, could you share the data model which could reproduce your scenario so that I could have a test on it?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.