Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sarawilson
Frequent Visitor

Assigning rows equally across a list

Hello!

I'd like to be able to equally distribute records in a table to names from a list. I'm able to assign them randomly with:

AssignedEmployee = LOOKUPVALUE(organizationalPerson[displayName],organizationalPerson[EmployeeOrder],RANDBETWEEN(1,[EmployeeCount]))

but I need to be able to equally distribute rows across staff (some days there may be 60 rows, some days 20, etc.). I've tried messing around with RANKX and LOOKUPVALUE but can't get it to make sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

While I have sensitive data and can't share a file, the end goal would be something like below. 

ClientEmployee
1A
2A
3A
4B
5B
6B
31C
32C
33C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Your usecase intrigued me. It seems you are trying to create some sort of daily roster? That is an interesting use of Power BI. 

Anyway, onto your question. What I came up with was the following.

I assume there is a table of (unique) Clients, as well a table of (unique) Employees. You want to create a calculated column in the Clients table that assigns an Employee to each Client row, in such a manner that every Employee occurs roughly the same ammount of times in the Clients table.

I started off with two tables, one Client Table and one Employee Table (note the Index columns! i've added those in the Query Editor!) There are 31 rows in Client table, and 5 in Employee table.

Example table Client (N=31)Example table Client (N=31)Example table Employee (N=5)Example table Employee (N=5)

Now we are going to add a calculated column to the Client table in which we are going to assign employee ID's to Clients (evenly distributed):

AssignedEmplID = 
VAR _clientsPerEmp = DIVIDE(COUNTA(TableClient[Client]), COUNTA(TableEmpl[Employee]))
RETURN
ROUNDUP(DIVIDE(TableClient[Index], _clientsPerEmp), 0)

What we are doing here is calculating how many clients per employee should be assigned (divide the number clients by the number of employees). Then we divide the index of that client (let's say, 4) by that number (in our case 31 divided by 5). Round that up to the nearest whole number and that is the assigned Employee Index. Consequently; the fifth employee get's 7 clients, all other employees get 6. 

Last step is to create a relationship between Employee Index and AssignedEmployee (1-to-many), so you can use names instead of indexes in your visuals, for example: 

Clients with AssignedEmplID and (by relationship) the Employee nameClients with AssignedEmplID and (by relationship) the Employee name

Please mark this answer as solution if this answered your question. 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! I've got a similar challenge which this solution helped me a lot already, however, I've got some criteria/rules:
instead of Clients and Employees - I have users and auditors - which the auditor can't audit themself (so the auditor needs to be different from the user) but always considering the same number of rows for every auditor.

Could you please help?? Thank you 🙂 

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Your usecase intrigued me. It seems you are trying to create some sort of daily roster? That is an interesting use of Power BI. 

Anyway, onto your question. What I came up with was the following.

I assume there is a table of (unique) Clients, as well a table of (unique) Employees. You want to create a calculated column in the Clients table that assigns an Employee to each Client row, in such a manner that every Employee occurs roughly the same ammount of times in the Clients table.

I started off with two tables, one Client Table and one Employee Table (note the Index columns! i've added those in the Query Editor!) There are 31 rows in Client table, and 5 in Employee table.

Example table Client (N=31)Example table Client (N=31)Example table Employee (N=5)Example table Employee (N=5)

Now we are going to add a calculated column to the Client table in which we are going to assign employee ID's to Clients (evenly distributed):

AssignedEmplID = 
VAR _clientsPerEmp = DIVIDE(COUNTA(TableClient[Client]), COUNTA(TableEmpl[Employee]))
RETURN
ROUNDUP(DIVIDE(TableClient[Index], _clientsPerEmp), 0)

What we are doing here is calculating how many clients per employee should be assigned (divide the number clients by the number of employees). Then we divide the index of that client (let's say, 4) by that number (in our case 31 divided by 5). Round that up to the nearest whole number and that is the assigned Employee Index. Consequently; the fifth employee get's 7 clients, all other employees get 6. 

Last step is to create a relationship between Employee Index and AssignedEmployee (1-to-many), so you can use names instead of indexes in your visuals, for example: 

Clients with AssignedEmplID and (by relationship) the Employee nameClients with AssignedEmplID and (by relationship) the Employee name

Please mark this answer as solution if this answered your question. 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

AWESOME! That's just what I needed, thanks so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.