Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

95Bigbluetoy
Helper I
Helper I

Assign numeric value to various job titles

I need to assign a numeric value to various job titles. I can use the IF statement to make this work for two titles, but i have about a dozen various job titles that i need to assign a value to and havent been able to figure out how to accomplish this. Some of the titles will have the same value. For instance, i need PMs to have a value of 5,  whereas Superintendents, Foreman and Field Engineers will have a value of 0. APMs will have a value of 2 and VPs will have a value of 75, etc.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @95Bigbluetoy 

If the value is exactly defined by the title name, you need to use IF/SWITCH function to do it. such as write to: IF([Title]= "SUPERINTENDENT", "0", IF([Title]= "VICE PRESIDENT", "90"))..one by one. there's no easy way to do this.  probably SWITCH function can be simpler than IF.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @95Bigbluetoy 

Not quite understand your requirement, could you please post some captures to clarify more details?

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Thanks for responding. what i am looking to do is to assign a numeric value to various job titles so as to then use that value in another calculation. I can use the IF statement to say that 

IF([Title]= "SUPERINTENDENT", "0", IF([Title]= "VICE PRESIDENT", "90")), but i have numerous job titles to assign a value to.

my data table has a column "Title", so what i am looking for is to add a new column that has a value based on the job title. here is an example of what i am looking for:

TitleValue
Superintendent0
Project Manager5
Assistant Project Manager2
Project Manager Assistant90
Vice President75
Assistant Superintendent0
General Superintendent5

Hi @95Bigbluetoy 

If the value is exactly defined by the title name, you need to use IF/SWITCH function to do it. such as write to: IF([Title]= "SUPERINTENDENT", "0", IF([Title]= "VICE PRESIDENT", "90"))..one by one. there's no easy way to do this.  probably SWITCH function can be simpler than IF.

quickly.

thanks for the input. I didnt know that i could keep using the IF statement for the number of times i needed within the same equation. It is working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.