Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AUaero
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Ask a Question grayed out - Live connection to SSAS Tabular

I've got a report that is based on a live connection to a tabular model running on SSAS 2017.  The Ask a Question button is grayed out in Power BI Desktop.  Any ideas as to why?

I've also uploaded the report to the Power BI service and I don't even see an Ask a Question button there.  I've enabled Q&A for the dataset in the service.  Again, am I just missing something?  This is the first application we've tried to use the Q&A feature as we only recently upgraded our SSAS server.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That is a very new feature and I believe still in Preview mode.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-q-and-a-direct-query

Says it only works with Tabular for SSAS 2016 so maybe that's the issue?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Perhaps it is an issue with SSAS 2016 vs 2017... it would seem odd that a feature wouldn't work in a newer release, though.  I don't see anything in the backwards compatability doc for SSAS 2017 that would suggest an issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/analysis-services-backward-compatibility-sql2...

Has anyone else successfully implemented Q&A against an on-premise tabular model using a live connection?

Thanks!

HI @AUaero,

In my opinion, I think power bi team add specific methods codes to enable this feature with particular sql version. If this feature works well and become a stable version, they may add support to other versions.

In addition, you can also submit an idea for add more sql version support for that feature.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.