Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Are compound keys (multi-column) supported?

I know previously it was not possible using PBI to join on multiple columns (or when using direct query).

Has that changed at all?

We have users who want to use direct query and have many tables that need to link on more than 1 column.

I'd like to be able to just let them drag and drop the tables without having to create a custom SQL view instead.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
_donev
Regular Visitor

They are still not supported and as far as I know, it's not going to change in near future. There is an idea you can vote for though - https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11682321-allow-compound-keys-in-r...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Has your issue be solved? 

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark the answer as solution to close the case.

Regards,
Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
_donev
Regular Visitor

They are still not supported and as far as I know, it's not going to change in near future. There is an idea you can vote for though - https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11682321-allow-compound-keys-in-r...

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

Based on my test, we can create relationship between tables by multi columns, However we can only make one active. You can use the USERELATIONSHIP function to work with the inactive relationship.

inactive.PNG

Regards,

Frank 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.