Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobertSlattery
Resolver III
Resolver III

ArcGis Animation doesn't update properly

Hi, I have a data set with only 60 locations all in one country and they plot OK with balloons or heat map indicating size.

I have a date field, which is a proper date type in M language, in my query so I dragged that into the Time section for the ArcGis vis and the slider appeared but the size of the balloons and the number of locations was drastically under reported.

I'm using simple locations (City State Postcode Country), not street addresses but anyway, there are only 60 of them.

When I slide the time scale or run the animation, nothing changes.

It looks like all of the locations are set to the first one in the table and they are just stacked on that one point.

Is this supposed to be working or am I wasting my time with it?

It'd very difficult to figure out what's going on, but it looks like it is not aggregating the sales for the selected period but instead, superimposing a separate balloon for each day of sales. The aggregation is there without the time field.

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RobertSlattery,

Could you please tell me if your problem was resolved? Could you please share the answer or mark the proper answer as solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I confused this thread by posting information about another question I was running at the time (which I can't delete) but, regardless, no, it is not solved.

I was already aware of the default going to colour as you pointed out so this did not help.

My conclusion was that it was something to do with the Country being Australia and the locations being more than the small number in your example. If you want to try, I suggest including these conditions.

My other conclusion is that this is not a useful feature since I can't control the start and end time for each frame. I want to show each year in turn as the animation runs. I couldn't see how to do this so I didn't spend any more time on it.

If you advise that this is possible, or if I have spare time, then I will invest the time to post an example but otherwise not.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RobertSlattery,

It worked fine in my test with both Power BI Service and Desktop. Could you please check these thing below?

1. Upgrading Desktop to the latest version is recommended. (2.48.4792.721 64-bit (July 2017)).

2. Do these tables have proper relationships?

3. Could you please post some snapshots of your report?

4. What is in the field "size"? If it's a measure, what's the formula?

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for taking an interest.

There were no measures, the "size" field is a numeric field in the combined query.

The only box I haven't ticked is having the latest version (I don't have admin rights and its after hours here).

I made a stripped down version of the app and removed everything except the function, the source queries (the ones I am combining) and the query that consumes the function.  I also deleted all relationships and still had the same problem.  I then deleted all visuals and the problem remains.

All of the elements are included below (note the source queries are all drawn from seperate excel files...

addFY

Let

export = (baseName as text, fy as list) =>

let

ret = List.Transform(fy, each

let

name = "#" & """" & Text.Replace(baseName, "$", Text.From(_)) & """",

t = Table.Buffer(Expression.Evaluate(name, #shared)),

year = _

in

Table.AddColumn(t, "FY", each year)

)

in

ret

in

export

//   Table.Combine(addFY("Invoice_Summary FY to $", {2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017}))

There is one of these for each FY, all from different excel files…

Invoice_Summary FY to 20XX

let

Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\...\file with one FY data.xlsx"), null, true),

Invoice_Summary_Table = Source{[Item="Invoice_Summary",Kind="Table"]}[Data]

in

Invoice_Summary_Table

AllInvoices query…

Let

AllYears = Table.Combine(addFY("Invoice_Summary FY to $", {2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017}))

in

AllYears

Hi @RobertSlattery,

I think the problem couldn't be in the queries.  How does the data look like in the "Data" view? Could you please post some snapshots? Could you please create a new file to create this visual? Because I didn't even add a column to the "size" field in my test. Finally I created a new one, everything went fine.

Best Regards!

Dale

I simplified it even further, with very basic (anonimous) data, with just two files combineded still the same error.

Please check it out here

Hi @RobertSlattery,

It worked in my test. I used the original data. Could you please post some snapshots here?ArcGis Animation doesn't update properly1.jpg

ArcGis Animation doesn't update properly2.jpg

Notes: if you just check the "Date" column, it would fill the "Color" field automatically.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.