Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

antonstam
Regular Visitor

ArcGIS visual cannot locate some features, but different features every time the map is loaded

I'm using the ArcGIS visual element to plot data on Dutch ZIP codes. These are 4-digit codes that ESRI recognises as locations. There are about 3.500 ZIP codes in my dataset. The visual reports it "failed to locate X features", where X is a different number each time I refresh the map. The areas it fails to locate are also completely different ones every time. I've tried switching between fuzzy and exact matching, but the problem is similar in both. Why does this happen? Is this a bug?

I've included some pictures to illustrate the problem.

PowerBI_esri_fuzzy_2.PNGPowerBI_esri_exact_2.PNGPowerBI_esri_fuzzy.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The ESRI team have confirmed that this is a bug in the visual. They are currently looking for a fix and will hopefully include it in their next release.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
antonstam
Regular Visitor

It gets even more confusing. I'd tried deleting my cache, which actually solved the problem for a while. When it came back, I tried limiting the size of my dataset. I had a set of 3,000 records at that point, and it failed to locate around 300 features. Being conservative, I tried limiting my dataset to its first 2,500 rows.

While this has not solved the problem, it did show some interesting behaviour: the number of features that could not be located is now a round number every time. It varies between 150, 300, and 450 features exactly.

The missing features also come from a contiguous area. For example, all the ZIP areas in an entire province will fail to load.

HI @antonstam,

Did you correct setting the date category of your data?

In addition, you can also take a look at below article which has the similar issue.

arcgis

If above not help, please share some sample data to test.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thank you for your reply. My data does not have a date category, so I didn't have to set it. I've read the article you linked and while it is very interesting, their solution involves filtering out the blanks in the location column and my dataset already does not have any blank values in that column.

I have created a sample dashboard that creates the issue. You can download it here. It is about 70 KB in size and contains a dataset with 3,500 rows and 2 columns.

Hi @antonstam,

Based on test, I can repro your issue. It seems like arcgis map can't accurate located by these postcodes.

For your scenario, I'd like to suggest you add latitude and longitude information to help arcgis map locate more accurately.

BTW, I also test on arcgis online, after I inputting postcode it alert me to add more detail information.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

I have Latitude and Longitude data readily available, but when I add those columns to the ArcGIS visual I can only use point visualisations, not boundary visualisations. The 'location type' menu disappears when I add those columns.

By the way, I've also reported this issue at ESRI's own GeoNet website and they've sent my demo file to their product development team to see what they can make of it. I hope they can tell me what's wrong or perhaps issue a bugfix.

The ESRI team have confirmed that this is a bug in the visual. They are currently looking for a fix and will hopefully include it in their next release.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.