cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

ArcGIS map preview - UK census boundaries

When setting a location type of Boundary>>One Country>>UK>>CensusAreas to a map and setting the location as the LSOA code a map is drawn with a set of boundaries but the boundaries do not reflect the area and is drawn in London rather than West Yorkshire.

I can't find any documentation online to establish what Census Areas are supported.

Has anyone come across any details?

ESRI - is this a feature that is work in progress?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: ArcGIS map preview - UK census boundaries

@saj,

Could you please share sample data of your table and post screenshot of your scenario so that we can test it further?

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

The source data is available at https://datahub.bradford.gov.uk/ebase/dp/LSOA.csv

The source data has been extracted from the ONS and can be seen via this link.

http://geoportal.statistics.gov.uk/datasets/da831f80764346889837c72508f046fa_2?uiTab=table&filterByE...

The following screen shot shows BI. I've created the ArcGIS map where location = LSOAcode.

Location Type>>Boundary>>One Country>>UK>>CensusArea

The codes are geocoded but incorrectly. The shape is wrong and the polygons are near Uxbridge, not Bradford, West Yorkshire.

Capture.JPG

Thanks

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi any update on this?

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

@saj,

I am not able to re-create the ArcGis map using your sample data, please check the screenshot in my scenario. Would you mind sharing me your PBIX file?

1.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, the link to the PBIX file is https://datahub.bradford.gov.uk/ebase/dp/LSOA.pbix

Thanks

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @saj

I couldn't get the ArcGIS map working and git the same problems you reported but if you follow the post from @mjfulke you could use the Shape visualisation instead.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-Your-Own-Custom-Map-for-Power-BI/m-p/165854/highlight...

I tried it with your data and I could get a map okay but frustatlingly I couldn't get the areas to colour correctly so it's all green in powerbi even after executing -svg-style fill="white".

I am sure there are people that would know what commands to  execute in mapshaper to remove the fill and allow colour saturation to work correctly in power bi.

bradford.PNG

Ah no I did get it working both using the shape file export on kml export for bradford.

bradford1.PNG

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks @gooranga we are using shape visualisations successfully but they are not very good at identifying where the polygon sits within the context of the district (area).

Even individuals who know the district struggle to work out where an area (in this case an LSOA) relates to the city/towns/villages etc.

Hopefully ESRI will resolve this issue as we are looking forward to being able to have polygons overlaid on a map (in addition to reference layers).

Thanks again.

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

ah I see yes it does lack a base map using shape visualisation. Hopefully this will get fixed.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Having the same problem - different part of London! - any idea if / when this will get fixed?

Helpful resources

Announcements

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Kudoed Authors