Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hobe1
Helper II
Helper II

ArcGIS map library in PowerBI

Hi,

When choosing an ArcGIS overlay for a map I am producing I am shunted to what appears to be the ArCGIS website. The overlay I am looking relates to the UK "Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (February 2017) Boundaries" which I can locate on the ArcGIS website https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=571bd4512165461fad70a0ccc36450e4  but NOT within the ArcGIS lookup within Power BI Professional

ArcGIS lookup in PowerBI.JPG

So my questions are:

1. Is there any particular reason why this ArcGIS overlay should not be available given that you already have overlays relating to CCGs and STPs

2. How often do you refresh the ArcGIS map library index within Power BI and is that the reason I cannot see the latest ArcGIS content?

Thanks

Hobe1

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @hobe1,

For import custom reference layout to power bi, you can take a look at below links:

Add a reference layer

Add custom reference layers to ArcGIS

In addition, you can also contact to arcgis team for further support.

Regsrds,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I think I know how to use reference layers my problem is the overlay I want to use is not in the ArcGIS library. I am chasing down some coleagues to see if we have some sort of ArcGIS account as an organisation so I can submit the STP area information I want to use to be added to the ArcGIS library as this is one of the options in your link.

I do not think anyone has answered my question on how frequently the link to the ArCGIS library in Power BI is updated and whether it includes all ArcGIS maps in the accessible list of maps or only a cohort?

Extending this theme a little further I have seen lots of historical requests for overlay functions in relation to geographic mapping. It seems at the moment the only option is to use ArcGIS for map overlays. My question is are other options available? For example I have a perfectly good shape map of STP regions the problem is I do not think I can overlay the locations of the different organisations on a shape map but I want to check if that is in fact correct?

If this is not possible then it would be of interest to me to know why this type of functionality could not be achieved using shape maps of the Power BI users choice which do not depend on a 3rd Party library

thanks

Howard

Hi @hobe1,

>>If this is not possible then it would be of interest to me to know why this type of functionality could not be achieved using shape maps of the Power BI users choice which do not depend on a 3rd Party library

In my opinion, arcgis visual for power bi is lite version of arcgis map. I think it not fully support whole features which arcgis map had.

For example, arcgis map support to input some address to locate the specific place, but this operation you can't achieve in power bi.

So I suggest you to contact to arcgis map developers  to know more about features of arcgis map visual.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.