Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BramVDM
Regular Visitor

ArcGIS: geographic ID mapped onto a polygon (layer)

Hi all,

Using ArcGIS for Power BI, I downloaded a layer (own creation, saved publicly on ArcGIS online) to be displayed on the map. This layer contains polygons which have an ID that corresponds to the ID that certain records in the data (in Power BI) have. For example: Event X happened in Year Y in Area 1. I would like these IDs to correspond in such a way that the polygon (Area 1) will color differently upon selecting Event X. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Bram

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@BramVDM

Sorry for delayed reply.

You should know that the main purpose for Shape Map is to show relative comparisons of regions on a map by coloring them differently. It is not a real map and cannot show precise geographical locations of data points on a map. So in your scenario, you can use SUBPZ which is just a numeric value to return a region in Shape Map.

Then for the map visuals, as I know for current Map visuals including ArcGIS map in Power BI. They all using longitude or lattitude as their properties. It also means that these visuals cannot recognize the numeric values in SUBPZ as a longitude or lattitude.

Thereby I'm afraid there's no workaround to use numeric values as longitude or lattitude in map visuals for current Power BI.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@BramVDM

Based on your description, you are using a custom layer which is created by yourself. Right? Then what is it? Without knowing your custom layer, it is hard for us to understand your requirement.

Also, what's your data source? Please share us some sample data, so that we can make proper tests.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

@v-xjiin-msft

Thank you for your message, I will try to illustrate as much as I can. However, since the data I am working with is confidential, I am sending some mock data that contains only the bare essentials. 

I am indeed using a custom layer that I created myself in ArcGIS. It is saved publicly and called "Kitchanga_Layer". In the ArcGIS application, you can find it through Analytics >>> Reference Layer >>> ArcGIS >>> "Kitchanga", and you will see a layer called "Kitchanga_Layer" with orange shapes. Upon selecting that layer, you should be able to see its labels for PZ (priority zone) and SUBPZ (sub-priority zone). PZ = 3 for each of the two shapes, SUBPZ can be 31 or 32.

Now, as you can see from the table below (I seem unable to attach proper attachments?), each event is assigned a PZ and SUBPZ. My "goal" is to have the SUBPZ as a filter on the visualization level, i.e. if I select SUBPZ=31, then I would like the corresponding shape/polygon to be marked in a different shade. I tried the same using PowerBI's shape map visualization and there it works perfectly fine. But I would now like to do the same thing using the ArcGIS visualization because I can choose my base maps rather than just having a shape without any futher orientation.

EventDateDescriptionInvolved PartiesPZSUBPZ
A12.01.1987X attacked Y.Government331
B23.09.1999Y attacked X.Government332
C22.04.1992X attacked Y.Company A332
D11.01.1963Y attacked X.Company B331
13.05.2005X attacked Y.Government331
F27.06.2002Y attacked X.Company A332
G09.10.2010X attacked Y.Government331

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bram

@BramVDM

Thanks for sharing the layer and sample data. I can repro the map.

1.PNG

=> I seem unable to attach proper attachments?

I think yes. Based on your sample data, they all not fit the properties of ArcGIS maps. ArcGIS maps are using location or Latitude or Longitude. However you don't have them.

So I don't know where to put the PZ or SUBPZ or other columns. How did you put them?

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

@v-xjiin-msft

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. You are completely right, ArcGIS needs location, longitude or lattitude, and this exactly outlines the problem that I am facing. 

I would like SUBPZ to be the location, in such a way that it makes the connection to the LAYER ONLY, i.e. to the corresponding shape. However, if I put the SUBPZ column as location, ArcGIS will look for e.g. "31" and then allocate some random location in India (in my case). However, I am trying to find out if there is a solution to have ArcGIS not try to find these locations/numbers on the underlying map but instead only to the corresponding shape/layer. This would be ideal. As said before, I managed to get to this ideal solution when using the Shape Map visualization (see below). But in any case this solution would be sub-par since it does not

show an actual map. 

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-05 om 14.27.54.png

If there is another way (for example in Shape Map visualization) to portray the maps in the picture above on top of a base map (such as in ArcGIS) then that would also be perfectly fine. 

Thanks,

Bram

@BramVDM

Sorry for delayed reply.

You should know that the main purpose for Shape Map is to show relative comparisons of regions on a map by coloring them differently. It is not a real map and cannot show precise geographical locations of data points on a map. So in your scenario, you can use SUBPZ which is just a numeric value to return a region in Shape Map.

Then for the map visuals, as I know for current Map visuals including ArcGIS map in Power BI. They all using longitude or lattitude as their properties. It also means that these visuals cannot recognize the numeric values in SUBPZ as a longitude or lattitude.

Thereby I'm afraid there's no workaround to use numeric values as longitude or lattitude in map visuals for current Power BI.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.