cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottball Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview) Discussion

@dcresp - ArcGIS Maps for Power BI is a special custom visual, but alas - we are still a custom visual. Only native visuals allow tooltips outside of their sandboxed windows. We are working to make the tooltips smarter so they don't extend into unviewable areas, which should help the issue somewhat.

Regarding the export option - that's something we'll have to look into. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

dcresp Member

Thanks for the feedback @scottball. The tooltips one is an issue as limited space on a page means that often a map does not take up a large part of a page so anything that can be done on this would help. 

As you can imagine we are not at all happy with the idea that an external user that we give access to a dashboad can download potentially thousands of lat longs that have taken us a huge investment to build up. We have a general issue with the lack of control over the Export Data function within Power BI but it is a particuarly large issue when it comes to mapping. It has been posted as an idea but does not seem to have got anyfeedback from Microsoft @lukaszp are you able to shed any light on this one?

dcresp Member

@scottball is mapping based on boundaries coming for countries outside of the US soon? Also will we be able to map on boundaries other than zip / post codes. It would be good if we could map on suburb boundaries as this is somthing that the native mapping does not allow for in Australia. 

Regular Visitor

@dcresp we are working on the boundary issue. We want to provide a really nice experience and right now it's not up to our standards. The intent is absolutely to provide worldwide standard geographic boundaries. We'll have it out as soon as we can.

jfancke Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I've created a ArcGIS map visual using an on-premise data source. It displays correctly in PBI desktop but on the web service it just appears blank. Is this still being developed or is there some way I can fix this? Do you need a pro license (I'm on a free license at the moment)?

Regular Visitor

Hey @jfancke and others who have been asking for ArcGIS Maps for Power BI in the service - good news:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/arcgis-maps-for-powerbi-available-in-powerbi-service/

charmainer Member

Hi Scott,

thanks , I implemeted it on Friday last wk. Smiley Happy

charmainer Member

Hi Scott,

thanks , I implemeted it on Friday last wk. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
jfancke Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Perfect timing! I was wondering why the maps I had put up suddenly started appearing, fantastic! I know work on the mobile apps is still in progress, but I've noticed that the Win10 UWP app seems to be hit or miss with the ESRI maps --- sometimes showing up and sometimes not (at the moment it seems to not show up, but a couple of days ago it did). 

Anyway, great work and keep it up!

Power BI Team lukaszp
Power BI Team

We're working to get the ArcGIS Maps into our mobile apps. Thanks for the words of encouragement!