Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lukaszp
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview) Discussion

Since we announced ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview), we've been getting a lot of great questions and positive feedback.

Let's use this thread for a discussion of ArcGIS Maps for Power BI, including any issues you might encounter when using the feature.

You can now use the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI feature in the September release of Power BI Desktop. Remeber to enable it in the options menu.

You can find documentation here:

Some have asked for features:

A) Sign in to ArcGIS Online; it's on the road map ... vote for this idea to keep updated

B) Shapefile support ... use the ShapeMap visual

Known Issues:

Starting Monday 2/14/2017 you may receive an error when opening Power BI desktop when you have enabled ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (preview).  Please review this thread for further details. The workaround for this issue is documented here.

196 REPLIES 196

Perfect timing! I was wondering why the maps I had put up suddenly started appearing, fantastic! I know work on the mobile apps is still in progress, but I've noticed that the Win10 UWP app seems to be hit or miss with the ESRI maps --- sometimes showing up and sometimes not (at the moment it seems to not show up, but a couple of days ago it did). 

Anyway, great work and keep it up!

We're working to get the ArcGIS Maps into our mobile apps. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Hi Scott,

thanks , I implemeted it on Friday last wk. 🙂

Hi Scott,

thanks , I implemeted it on Friday last wk. 🙂

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ThomasDay seems they may know about this??? The 2 posts above mine I think address this?

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Sean I also have the symbol style transparency issue noted above where it reverts back to the default setting of 0%  The symbol colors issue seems to be "unhearalded."  I think it will be a common issue though.  Our maps will display some portion (usually ~10-20) of the possible hospital systems when selecting a state...there more than 500 different "systems in the US...so there clearly won't be an "assigned" color for each system.  And I'm guessing there are many other examples where symbol color needs to be dyamic to the filtered selection.  Hope they fix it soon!  Tom

Can any one help me map values to the wards within Toronto ? Toronto wards layer already exists under ArcGis Reference Layer but I don't know how to map/link my values in my dataset (Ward Name (#), Value) to the wards in the layer ?!

ArcGis.png

@aghonaim: As another commenter mentioned, reference layers are used for providing visual reference and making selection only. If your Toronto Wards aren't matching, try adding more information to the field. For example, in my testing with the Esri geocoder I had better luck with "Ward 8, Toronto, Canada" than I did with simply "Ward 8", "York West", or even "York West, Toronto, Canada". Might be something to try.

I don't believe it's possible to have any interaction between data in the reference layers and data in a dataset.  Reference layers are just that - for reference only.

saunders
Helper II
Helper II

Hi all, this is a great new feature, very welcome in our organisation!  Should help us to bridge the gap between spatial and BI.  In particular, we were struggling to show lots of data points on a map using the standard map visual.  Two clicks using the ESRI visual and there they are - sweet!

Question - when I publish the ESRI map visual to PowerBI.com, the map does not show.  Can I assume ArcGIS for PowerBI is currently only supported in Desktop?  If so, do you know when it will be available in the service?

Thanks,

Ed

Apologies, I just caught up with the rest of this thread and can see that it will soon be available in the service.

I'm not following how to use the tutorial (link below).  Although it's never clearly stated, it seems to assume we start in PBI Desktop, yet the Retail Analysis Sample data referenced only seems to be available as web service sample content, not for PBI Desktop?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-arcgis/ 

@mike_honey

Hi Mike, Just saw your old post.  You are right, the tutorial was not clear and I've done some re-writing that wil hopefully clear up any confusion.  Look for it to be posted some time next week.

Michele

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will there be a way to disable this feature from all Power BI Desktop installs at an Organisational level?

More details in this thread here but to sum up there are cases where what is effectively a "share your data with a third party" button means Power BI Desktop will have to be dropped from useage in its entirety.

@Anonymous, please take a look at the documentation, there are options built-in that allow you to control it at the organizational level. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-arcgis/
Peer

I really like the new ArcGIS features in PowerBI.

However; after publishing my newly created PBI report from desktop, I was unable to view the map online; it seems that the visual is not loading.

Have tried several up-to-date browsers.

Also: the option "Use ArcGIS maps for Power BI (Preview)" is not available in the PowerBI online settings menu.

There aren't any regional restrictions are there?

@Peer I'm pretty sure in the blog detailing the Sept updates to Power BI they said that the ArcGIS wont be available in the online service for another week or so.

@jcarville - we're adding it to the service just as soon as we can. Hold tight and it will be there really soon :).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way (or is it coming) to do proximity based spatial awareness - e.g I have a dataset of phone boxes and also convenience stores, show me all phone boxes within 100m of a convenience store?

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

My Wishlist:

1. Ability to load multiple layers at a time

2. Ability to load our own internal organisation owned ArcGIS layers (I know you have said this is in the pipeline)

3. Ability for a layer object to be used as a filter (ie. If I select a suburb Or Road on an ArcGIS layer, then my charts will be summarised according to my selection)

Mapping is probably the main reason why Government Organisations have not adopted Power BI. Get this done correctly, and you will see a mass exodus particularly from Tableau.

Cheers,
Dan

Peer

I really like the new ArcGIS features in PowerBI.

However; after publishing my newly created PBI report from desktop, I was unable to view the map online; it seems that the visual is not loading.

Have tried several up-to-date browsers.

Also: the option "Use ArcGIS maps for Power BI (Preview)" is not available in the PowerBI online settings menu.

There aren't any regional restrictions are they?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.