Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lukaszp
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview) Discussion

Since we announced ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview), we've been getting a lot of great questions and positive feedback.

Let's use this thread for a discussion of ArcGIS Maps for Power BI, including any issues you might encounter when using the feature.

You can now use the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI feature in the September release of Power BI Desktop. Remeber to enable it in the options menu.

You can find documentation here:

Some have asked for features:

A) Sign in to ArcGIS Online; it's on the road map ... vote for this idea to keep updated

B) Shapefile support ... use the ShapeMap visual

Known Issues:

Starting Monday 2/14/2017 you may receive an error when opening Power BI desktop when you have enabled ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (preview).  Please review this thread for further details. The workaround for this issue is documented here.

196 REPLIES 196

Hey @SamTrexler - we noticed this bug internally recently as well and we are working on a fix. Once we pass the new build to Microsoft and they push it live it should start working correctly for you. 

ESRI Symbol Colors BUG:  With ESRI maps going to general availability, I would like to again post a significant BUG with Symbol Colors.  It will most certainly surface early in general availability so I hope this is helpful.  This isn't a feature I'm looking for or some special map boundary conflating to get rid of line sharding or any such thing.  This is simple symbol colors.

Here's the scenario which is readily handled by standard PowerBi maps.  The example is hospitals but could be virtually any data with 500 possible colors (while showing a modest 20-30 at a time).

• There are about 500 systems of hospitals in the US.
  • Most are geographically focused in a few contiguous states and have 5-25 facilities though there are some nationals.
  • Using a slicer to pick Massachusetts when the ESRI model colors have been "cleared" using revert to default, the systems show perfectly.  Each hospital in a system appears with the proper system color.  The map visually shows each system's footprint.
  • Then use the slicer to pick California while deselecting MA...and system colors max out--with Massachusetts colors retained in the color scheme--crowding out the California systems which all appear as the same grey.  NOT GOOD.

Here's a link to other posts I've made on this issue and I absolutely am able to send a model to replicate and will gladly send to any of the developers.

Let me know if I can be of additional help,

Tom

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any issues recently with plotting Lat/Longs on PowerBI desktop? 

I've been getting the hanging startup ESRI icon for the past 2 weeks.  I was wondring if anyone is experiencing the same?  I've tried to reduce my datapoint down to only 50 and have no luck.

I am using PowerBI desktop on an Azure VM (Win10)

thanks, PowerBI Web's ESRI component  is working fine if that helps. 

We've seen the stalled loading screen for Esri when Power BI Desktop's local browser cache is full. Esri has made a bug fix to address the issue and it's on it's way to production.

In the meantime, to clear your cache, please try to delete files at this location: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\CEF to see if the issue persists. Remember to restart Power BI Desktop after you do this.

-Lukasz

Hi @lukaszp.  This is Imran from India. I am also facing the same issue which has been addressed by you before 5 Months when this Discussion had happened. You had mentioned that it is a Bug and has been fixed by Esri. Did they really fix the Bug? Even after deleting the Cache, The issue persists. Kindly look into this matter & let me know whether this bug has been fixed or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

clearning the CEF content worked!  Thanks! 

I got this error on the bottom.  It appears on both desktop and web?  Do you know what this is? 

Many Thanks!

esri_error.JPG

Yes, when you get "Failed to locate N features" it means N locations you specified were not geocoded and therefore are not shown on the map.

Plz can i know what is the solution for this

Hi @lukaszp I don't suppose there is anywhere that lists the items that cannot be mapped? I am using a summary query from our postcodes database that averages the lat and long for a postcode outcode in the uk so everything *should* geocoded correctly. Thanks

****Update: I tried round my lat and longs to 2 decimal places and found an additional 3 points in Orkney so now I only have 5 missing points but I can't find them! ****

just out of curiosity @lukaszp

does deleting the files here C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\CEF

have the same effect as clearing the cache in the settings?

Capture.PNG

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have done the same.  No love.   I'll try the other way.  Althugh I am using Win 12 server.   have to check out the appdata method as well.  thx

Just to be clear, are you running Power BI Desktop in a VM? Can you send a screenshot of the experience you get?
Anonymous
Not applicable

yep.  running on an Azure instance.   thanks for the n point failure question.  I better go back and clean my data up. 

@Anonymous i have also had issues where it  is just blank and nothing happens.   However i have wondered if it related to memory.  Did you check to see how much memory you have available?  i often just end up going back to bing maps as it happens quite a lot.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

thx for your reply vanessafvg! 

I was thinking the same too because initlally when it came out, memory was directly tied to how many lat/longs i can plot.   So I've had it normally sized in my Azure VM at 4 Core/ 28GBs  (DS12_V12) for around 6500 pts.   It was the best bang for the buck. 

I tried to cleared the cache as well but no love.    i just downsized my VM to a 2 Core/14GB until they fix this.  

Really like Cloud Computing.   Pay for what you need immediately. 

@Anonymous  oh right you using azure, i was actually referring to power bi desktop ie. when i am designing the reports.     

Anonymous
Not applicable

is there a way to dedicate memory to PowerBI Desktop?   if so, please let me know.    I am desparately trying different things.   Some of the real time layers that ESRI offers is really nice.   Too bad, bing doesn't offer.   

Ian123
Regular Visitor

I am also liking these new ArcGIS features.

Is it possible to specify locations using different coordinate systems than lat and long? Some of the data I am using for evaluation has poor quality address information but has an X,Y on offer to me.

@Ian123That's a really good question

"Is it possible to specify locations using different coordinate systems than lat and long? Some of the data I am using for evaluation has poor quality address information but has an X,Y on offer to me."

I'm in a similar situation.  We have some legacy systems, and some external open data sources that have been created using eastings and northings, and we could really do with a range of options for various coordinate systems from disperate systems.

dcresp
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

One of the features that I really miss when going from the standard mapping visula to the Esri visual is the drill down features that come with the native visuals. @lukaszp is this somthing that is planned for the Esri visual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors