Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lukaszp
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview) Discussion

Since we announced ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview), we've been getting a lot of great questions and positive feedback.

Let's use this thread for a discussion of ArcGIS Maps for Power BI, including any issues you might encounter when using the feature.

You can now use the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI feature in the September release of Power BI Desktop. Remeber to enable it in the options menu.

You can find documentation here:

Some have asked for features:

A) Sign in to ArcGIS Online; it's on the road map ... vote for this idea to keep updated

B) Shapefile support ... use the ShapeMap visual

Known Issues:

Starting Monday 2/14/2017 you may receive an error when opening Power BI desktop when you have enabled ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (preview).  Please review this thread for further details. The workaround for this issue is documented here.

196 REPLIES 196
HEW
Helper III
Helper III

Settings and formatting in Desktop for ArcGIS maps:

When I select the the ellipses in the top right corner of the visualization I only get the options "Export data" and "Remove" - I don't get the "Edit" option. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot

2017-03-29_7-25-04.png

Hi @HEW,

In Desktop, there is a paintbrush icon instead. Click this to open the Edit options.  See attachment.

I think I heard that the paintbrush will eventually go away and Edit will be added to the ellipses menu, but I could be wrong.

HTH,

Michele

@mihart

You are the best, Michele! Thanks a lot.

Br. Helen

Dear @HEW,

Why thank you 🙂

If I've solved your problem, please mark my response as a Solution.

Take care,

Michele

marting6
Regular Visitor

Hi there,

I was looking for a streetside map type to be available in the Basemap gallery (currently only 4 options available).

Does anyone know if this is possible at present or if there are any plans to introduce this feature in the future?

Regards,

Garry

smithmc3
Advocate I
Advocate I

My organization has a lot of ArcGIS maps developed separate from Power BI, is there a way to import those maps with their data into Power BI or do you have to access data and recreate?

Thanks,

@smithmc3 you asked about making use of your existing ArcGIS maps that were created outside of Power BI. If you publish those feature services to ArcGIS Online and share them with everyone, they will be searchable and usable as a reference layer within ArcGIS Maps for Power BI. Currently this is the only way to bring existing ArcGIS content into ArcGIS Maps for Power BI. 

@scottball any indication on timing for when we will be able to securely access our own Esri mapping from within the visual?

Hi @smithmc3,

There is no way to do that today, yet.

How do we vote to make that happen?

@smithmc3,

You can vote for it here:  https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi?WT.mc_id=Community

According to one of the Devs I spoke with, there should already be an item for this on this list.  Just add your vote to move it up the priority list 🙂

Take care,

Michele

daykirby
Frequent Visitor

Any word if ArcGIS will be available in PowerBI Embedded? (Or any other alternative to Bing maps?)

abedkhooli
Frequent Visitor

How do we deal with location type for countries that are not listed at http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/geoenrichment-coverage.htm (GeoEnrichment coverage)? I want to visualize data for governorates (provinces) in Palestine. Since it is not listed, the location type tab can't be used.

Will creating a column with boundarfies (list of lat/long pairs) work? I am aware of the shape map option but would like to use the ArcGIS option.

@lukaszp with this months PBI Desktop release the Esri mapping visual disapears and an error message comes up when PBI is opened and before any file is opened. I have had to re-install to get the Esri Visual back which at least for now is working. Is this issue know and will there be a new verssion thsi month to fix this?

@dcresp How did you manage to get it working? I've reinstalled the January update, and even fired up that version on a machine that had never had the February update installed but I get the same error consistently. Which version have you got it working with?

Thanks,

Duncan

@DuncanP this is the version that I have - Version: 2.43.4647.541 64-bit (February 2017). It worked when I first installed and then stoped working. With a re-install/repair it is working again but may stop again soon. The other issue with this months version is that page backgrounds do not work if you fit to page. However, if you save the file and then re-open it will work. Such regulat feature roll outs is great but it seems to be occuring at the expense of product testing at this stage. 

@dcresp Thanks for the confirmation. I've tried that and it's still not working for me though Smiley Sad. Hopefully it'll get sorted soon.

Folks - sorry about that. We had an issue with how we publish the visual, it has been resolved. You should close and re-open Power BI desktop. The visual should start working without issue again after that change. Let me know if the problem persists.

If closing and re-opening Power BI Desktop does not solve the issue, please follow the steps outlined here to resolve the issue.

DuncanP
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi again

We're starting to use this quite intensively now, and another minor request has come out of some initial sessions. When you zoom in to the map to focus on a particular area, if you then click a slicer elsewhere on the page to see a comparison (e.g. from year to year), it zooms out again to show the full map. Is there any way this behaviour could be overriden somehow, for those occasions when you want to stay focussed in?

Cheers,

Duncan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

This feature is really great. It does not seem to support drill down, however. For example, I can map to a US state, then click into to see zip code, etc. Does anyone know if there is a work around or if this will be added later?

Thanks!

Simon_Lou
Frequent Visitor

This feature looks awesome, I've enjoyed using it and found it to be a very powerful visualisation. It being a preview feature is great and I can't wait for it to be a standard feature.

What I would like to know is, what data is shared with ESRI? Is it just your computer details, I want to be certain that the data that I am putting onto the visual is not being shared further?

Many thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.