cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
odraode83 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview) Discussion

Thanks lukaszp,

no no I'm using Arcgis in Power BI and I've done the following: I went to Reference Layer menu, selected ArcGIS and searched for World Imagery. Selected World Imagery item and flagged "add".

Nothing happened to the map instead I was expecting that an aerial/satellite layer would be loaded...

Hope that I've managed to explain me better now.

Let me know!

charmainer Member

Hi Edoardo,

I had np need tof this option , but i tried it out .. selected world Imagery and nothing happened too. So may be contact Esri on this as looks like there is another method to enable this.

Kind Regards

Charmaine

Power BI Team lukaszp
Power BI Team

Quick update on this - the team at Esri are looking into why this layer didn't work.
ThunderDub Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hey Guys,

what's the reason for this limit (1500)? Because preview version or smth else?

Is it going to be upgrade? awesome tool but useless now Smiley Sad

1500.PNG

Power BI Team lukaszp
Power BI Team

The 1,500 limitation is something Esri needed to put in place because the cost of street address geo-coding is non-trivial. If you provide a lat-long, you'll see the ArcGIS Map for Power BI shows more than 1,500 data points. The 1,500 data point limitation only applies to street address geo-coding - so if you specify things like place names (cities, counties, postal codes) the limit won't apply. We're working with Esri to enable you to sign-in to ArcGIS Online, which will allow you to view more than 1,500 data points on the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI.
ThomasDay Member

That makes sense and this all sounds great.  Looking forward to updates and embedded capabilities.  Very disruptive to status quo...in a really good way.

Frequent Visitor

@lukaszp

thx for reply, i know about different limitations with different arguments (location, lat/long) and i tried to use both of them, but there is a little problem (for me ofc Smiley Happy) that when i use lat/long (declared limit 30,000 by ArcGis) i cant make map with boundaries (states/regions)... Smiley Sad am i wrong?

Power BI Team lukaszp
Power BI Team

You can definitely do boundaries - the boundaries are for standard geographies like countries, states/provinces, postal codes, cities. You need to put a value in the Location field, then go into full screen edit mode (the on visual pencil icon in upper right hand corner), go to Location Type and select "Boundaries". If you want to use custom boundaries then you should use the ShapeMap visual that Power BI provides.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@lukaszp

Yeap, you're right if we are talking about Location but not for Lat/Long, so:

1. Location - can do boundaries but the limit (1,500)...
  2. Long/lat - nice limit (30,000) but can't do boundaries

that's what i'm talking about Smiley Happy

Shape map has some issues, but this is another story Smiley Very Happy

Power BI Team lukaszp
Power BI Team

Can you try changing the model Data Category for the data field you specified to match the kind of boundary you're mapping? See if that resolves the issue (you might need to navigate away from the page and back again). I that doesn't work, could you attach your file or send it to me lukaszp at Microsoft dot com, I'd like to take a look. (for others, please use the community and respect my inbox Smiley Happy). See the attached image generated today with ArcGIS Maps for Power BI build - 3280 postal codes in Australia rendered just fine. Would like to understand why your data is limited. The way Esri's control works under the covers is they have two geocoders. If the address geocoder is invoked, you're limited to 1,500 - it should only be invoked for street addresses, but perhaps there's something about your data that invokes it. The other geocoder handles places etc. it's not limited.