Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

ArcGIS Maps and LSOA codes (UK) Not working

We are trying to use ArcGIS Maps and we have LSOA code 

"Lower Layer Super Output Area (LSOA) is a geospatial statistical unit used in England and Wales to facilitate the reporting of small area statistics. They are part of the ONS coding system created by the Office for National Statistics (ONS). They have a minimum population of 1000 with a mean size of 1,500."

However when I add the LSOA Code into Location, all I see is Data in Japan and nothing else. Then I try again and nothing shows up at all, so it seems a little... unuseable.

Can anyone tell me either the best way to use LSOA codes with ArcGIS maps OR if I should be using another map?

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@DebbieE ,

Have you tried custom visual like below?

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

After having a look at some other peoples responses to this. this visual wont work for LSOA because there are way too many LSOA codes and it would be almost impossible to get them plotted onto the map. So this visual isnt really workable for LSOA codes

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

This doesnt help either. The geographics data is specifically using LSOA codes. They dont have latitude of longitude. Surely there is a visual that works with LSOA codes? 

https://data.gov.uk/dataset/c481f2d3-91fc-4767-ae10-2efdf6d58996/lower-layer-super-output-areas-lsoa...

I believe this is similar to an issue we have observed in May last year, ticket raised with MS. This was the response

We had a look in how you were using the LSOAs or MSOAs columns to visualize Census data to represent UK boundaries in the ArcGIS map. We identified that the columns used for mapping the data on the visual are alphanumeric and not ideal for ArcGIS map visual. We discussed possibilities of changing the column to represent the Census areas and ended up using the correct column for this scenario which was Output Areas (OAs) which is a geography very granular and helpful in this scenario.

If similar - please Vote this one up:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/37651120-extend-the-arcgis-map-vi...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors