Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

ArcGIS Mapping UK Postal Areas incorrectly

After messing about with the shapefile visualisation and giving up as it was so slow I stumbled on the ARCgis visulation. It seemed to work and I could easily plot lat longs but what I really wanted was to plot uk postal areas like RG, SO, CF, M, W,SW etc. And I managed to find the handy location type edit on the ArcGis visualisation. Joy of joys that was exactly what I wanted. But, it falls over on a couple of postal areas and doesn't map them correctly which kind of puts me back at mapping points.

It has incorrectly mapped the ST, CF, OL and WF postal areas.

ST is mapped with AL

OL is mapped with AL

WF is mapped with WD

CF is mapped with CB

What a shame as it kind of renders this useless and if it worked it would the most awesomest thing, are there any workarounds? Or even better, fixes in the pipline. Pretty please

ArcGisPostalAreas.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I managed to get the ArcGIS map working as well. The key thing you have to do with uk postcode areas like B, SO,M etc is to set the categorisation for the field as Postal Code then it will map all areas correctly.

ArcGIS.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
zceimam

Hello, I want to do the same map but showing boroughs in London instead of Postal Code Areas. What type of data is does the "Postcode Area" column contain?  Which you have put into the Location Field?

Thank you!

brokertech

I appreciate this a really old post, but I am really struggling to get ArcGIS to produce a map liek you have in your post. Can you provide me with any links to help on UK bast county mapping?

gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

the way around this is to follow @mjfulke excellent post at,

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-Your-Own-Custom-Map-for-Power-BI/m-p/165854/highlight...

which shows you, step by step, how to get the Shape Map visualisation to do this.

I managed to get the ArcGIS map working as well. The key thing you have to do with uk postcode areas like B, SO,M etc is to set the categorisation for the field as Postal Code then it will map all areas correctly.

ArcGIS.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.