Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

ArcGIS Map Help

So this is my first time trying to visualize location data with Power BI.  I'm using the basic ArcGIS Maps visual, but if somebody has experience with another map visual that would suit my needs, that'd be great.

So my requirement is to essentially re-make this map visual, but interactive with Drillthrough capability.  Now the trick is to get as close to the spirit of the original as I can.StateMapToCopy.PNG

The data comes in 2 categories, with subcategories below that. 

Each row of my data table is one of the following:

• A state with a null/medium/high style subcategory.  This is indicated by a grey/beige/orange fill on each state.
  • A city with a separate null/low/high subcategory (yellow/green coloration of dots), with the possiblity of having another True/False field that indicates whether to use black. 
    • Yellow/Green subcategories are mutually exclusive to each other. Black can happen in the case of either of those categories as well as when that field is null (which is how you get pure black points)

I've played with the data some, and have the ability to either keep it in all in one table and add flag fields, or split it into multiple tables: one for State locations, one for City locations, and possibly a third for all the info that indicates a black location.  I've been able to create individual map visuals for each of the 3 location types (Beige/Orange States, Yellow/Green Cities, & Black Cities).  But I would very much like to combine it all into one map like above.  Any tips?

Bonus points if you can help me indicate the 7 regions for the states, either through a thicker boundary or actually splitting the states apart like in the example.

2 REPLIES 2
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Here is a sample of my data table that has all the location types mixed.  I've tried to pick a mix of states that embody each coloring combination. I've also got a State/Region fact table that is linked to the State in this table.

Location State Status City Status State IsLocal IsState IsBlack LocationGroup Longform Location
Arkansas High   Arkansas 0 2 0 2 Arkansas, Arkansas
California Medium   California 0 2 0 2 California, California
Los Angeles County   High California 1 0 4 5 Los Angeles County, California
Oakland     California 0 0 4 4 Oakland, California
San Francisco     California 1 0 0 1 San Francisco, California
Silicon Valley   Low California 1 0 0 1 Silicon Valley, California
Florida High   Florida 0 2 0 2 Florida, Florida
Broward County   Low Florida 1 0 0 1 Broward County, Florida
Miami-Dade County   Low Florida 1 0 4 5 Miami-Dade County, Florida
Pinellas County   High Florida 1 0 4 5 Pinellas County, Florida
Missouri     Missouri 0 0 0 0 Missouri, Missouri
Kansas City     Missouri 0 0 4 4 Kansas City, Missouri
St. Louis     Missouri 0 0 4 4 St. Louis, Missouri
Utah Medium   Utah 0 2 0 2 Utah, Utah

Note that for the IsLocal/IsState/IsBlack indicator flag columns, I've used bitmasking so that each combination of State/Local/Black has a unique value in the LocationGroup column, in case I can figure out some way to place a different map pin based on that value.

EDIT: Also, here's a screenshot of the maps I'm able to make so far.  I just need some way to combine them into one visual!

CurrentMapProgress.PNG

No luck with my experiments overnight.  Does anybody have any insight?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.