Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SHHargrove
Advocate II
Advocate II

April Update -- Not able to enable See Records or synonyms

Hi All,

Really enjoying the grid formatting options with the April Update.  However,some of th other new features don't seem to be working for me:

• Enable See Records:  I see the option in the Drill menu on the ribbon, but it is always disabled.  I can't seem to find a way to enable it.
  • Synonyms.  I don't see a Synonums option in the modeling ribbon as shown in the announcement.  Is there something I need to do to enable that?

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25
stan_beta
Regular Visitor

Is there no update for See Records on Power BI?

I still cant see my detail rows from the visual.
Some of our user usually need to see the detail data that compose the visual, so they can know what caused the anomaly on the spot...

TickboxPhil
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

This is ridiculous - May 2017 Update and still no full "See Data" (only a summary and that only sometimes)... and that's on a new clean PBIX Desktop with raw records (yes, not even any Measures getting in the way!) straight out of SQL Server DB (not SSAS). Basics!

Microsoft need to stop this confuddle and announce their intention, or more importantly, just make it work (even if have to provide an option to lock the functionality for data security). Please sort it out!!

Hmmmm, you should be able to "See Records" on something as long as you're not using measures....I'm able to

Just edited, sorry and thanks for conf akruzel - I meant "See Data" not Records, although ultimately neither achieve much. "See Data" shows a summary table only, no drill down (so those buttons are useless). "See Records" is itself a misnomer - and it doesn't even get enabled on the basic chart (even with no Measures).

What many people need is to see the underlying data which actually make up those summary values. Best for folk to follow the previous links and request.

akruzel
Helper I
Helper I

@v-yuezhe-msft

Getting to be a year later and we still can't drill down when measures are included in a visualization.  Has this been forgotten?  Users are getting pretty frustrated that they can't drill down in visuals.  I shouldn't have to manipulate things to not use measures so they can drill down. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi SHHargrove,

"See Records was not fully, properly enabled in this release. We'll get an update out soon."

Based on lance's comments int this blog, there are some issues with "See Records" functionality, we need to wait for the next update.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a comment on that post saying the See Records function doesn't work with calculated measures.  Sure enough, remove my cal'd measures and the See Records button is no longer grey'd out.

Well, that's not very useful now is it?  Seems like that was always a problem with SSAS until a recent release.  But if you can't use calculations, then we just as well forget it's there.

Hi SHHargrove,

To fully use the "See Records" feature, please wait for the next release of Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

We have a similar challenge. We are using SSAS as connection. Using this connection we have created a report and published in Power BI . However, in this report on right click 'See Records' option is not available.

Is this option not available for SSAS connection? 

Thanks for your help in advance!

Just wanted to confirm the above post:

Are we still not able to view record data when connecting live to SSAS as a data source? For both Tabular and Multi-dimensional?

We have to much data in our SSAS cubes to re-create our cubes in the Power BI environment to 'see records' by importing data into desktop files.

Thanks!

@pbix - To my knowledge it will not help if you recreate your Tabular model in a .pbix file. The "See Records" function only works if you add a column directly from a table as a measure and not for a calculated measure/column.

/sdjensen

Hi @sdjensen, @mike_honey

Thanks SD, Mike - v much agree - it looks like you cant drill through where you use a calculated measure in SSAS - but we can drill through on a calculated measure when browsing the cube in Excel.

Is there any feeling for when this functionality will come to Power BI - i.e. drill through to data behind a calculated measure in SSAS?

Thanks!

Pbix

Just retested this with the Feb 2017 release of Power BI Desktop - it still shows the original, so-called functionality, which is practically useless.

Hi Lydia, 

Is the "See Records" option available for measures the May update? It seems it is still disabled for calculated measures for the May version.

Thanks so much.

David

Hi David,

Im using Jun month release version , but still "See Records" optoin disabled for Calcualted measures ,Tolltips and Color Satuaration option . Please let me know if you have any idea .

I guess it didn't make it.  It is enabled only if a measure is not used.

Connect with me in LinkedIn: https://pr.linkedin.com/in/adolfosocorro
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AdolfoSocorro

Hi Team

Below is my observation -

Currently, 'See Records' option is enabled only when the measures and dimensions that are actaully present in database/source are used (Import data > drag measures & Dimensions to visualisation > Click on the visualisation and then you have ' See Records' Option active.

If you are trying to import the data > create new measure in pbi desktop > Drag the new measure in the visualisation then the 'see records' option is not enabled.

I hope the next release will fix the above issue and enable the 'see records' option even if the calculated measures are included in the visualisation.

Please correct me if the solution is already available.

zondan
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the the new "See records" option is only available for Desktop Power BI not Web? If it's only for desktop then it doesn't really allow end-users to explore data behind... (anyway it's disabled for me even in desktop).

Thanks,

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can get it to activate to my existing pbix file, but only to the data connect to SQL database. Can't activate if use SSAS tabular cube, is this feature not available for ssas cube?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.