Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apps and Dataset permissions

Hello,

did Microsoft change something in the permission level of datasets when a report is used in an App?

What I mean:

Until 07.06.19 I could have in an App some reports (e.g., Report A, and Report B) both shared with different AD groups but both using the same dataset (Dataset 1).

I also had a Report C using the Dataset 2 and shared also with a different AD groups.

Some users where members of 2 groups, some only in 1, and some in all groups so they could see everything.

When I was sharing the App to all above AD groups I could deside which datasets are visible to which group and which reports are visible to which group. Now it seem that all the datasets are visible to all users that have access to the App! Is this a "feature"? 

permissions.png

Why can't I delete a specific group from the dataset? Istead of the options "Read", Read and Reshare", and "Remove" I see these new options now in the manage permissions settings of a dataset and also I see the "App" which means tha this access has been granted through the App.

Is MS assuming that all datasets in an App have to be shared with the same users?  

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you create new app workspace?

Please read through the link above.

"When I was sharing the App to all above AD groups I could deside which datasets are visible to which group and which reports are visible to which group. Now it seem that all the datasets are visible to all users that have access to the App! Is this a "feature"? "

When you give these groups access to your app workspace, they can access to all contents in this app workspace.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-juanli-msft ,

Thank you for the link. Microsoft states the follwoing:

"If you want to distribute official content to a large audience within your organization, you can publish an app from your workspace. When the content is ready, you choose which dashboards and reports you want to publish, and then publish it as an app. You can create one app from each workspace"

The problem is the following: I include in one App 2 reports with 2 underline datasets that different people have access on each report and dataset, when publishing the App including the two reports then all users have access to both reports instead of the intended ones.

It was not like that in the past. You could select who has access in the dataset and you were not forced to have all App users in all underline datasets used in linked dashboard and reports. That gave you more flexibility to manage rights on reports with the flexibility of sharing them via Apps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.