Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BaronSdG
Resolver II
Resolver II

Applying tooltip only to specific columns in a table

Hi all,

I have a table with several columns. Some of them are abbreviations and I want to display their full name when you hover on them with the mouse. How can I do it?

BaronSdG_0-1614774382221.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BaronSdG ,

Method1,  Change the description of column names in Power Query.

Chris Webb's BI Blog: Adding Tooltips To Column Headers In The Power Query Editor In Power BI And Ex...

Note: This method is not effective for measures.

Method2, Use the ‘Viusal header tooltip icon’ feature.

Power BI visual header tooltip - Prathy's Blog...

Note: This method will display all column descriptions in one view.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

BaronSdG
Resolver II
Resolver II

I have seen a work around online which will work for specific columns:

1) Add a text box in front of the columns' header and write the header

2) Add a tooltip to it when you hoover on it

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BaronSdG
Resolver II
Resolver II

I have seen a work around online which will work for specific columns:

1) Add a text box in front of the columns' header and write the header

2) Add a tooltip to it when you hoover on it

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BaronSdG ,

Method1,  Change the description of column names in Power Query.

Chris Webb's BI Blog: Adding Tooltips To Column Headers In The Power Query Editor In Power BI And Ex...

Note: This method is not effective for measures.

Method2, Use the ‘Viusal header tooltip icon’ feature.

Power BI visual header tooltip - Prathy's Blog...

Note: This method will display all column descriptions in one view.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate that OP will likely no longer care as it's been a few years since the original post 🙂  To anyone else still looking for a solution - I found this thread first and it didnt help me, but I kept looking and found something I think may do the job - adding a reply here in case anyone else does what I did!  Hopefully it's ok to link to other sites - I haven't bothered looking to see if there are rules or anything re posting here.

(40) Tooltip on Total Column only - Months into measures | LinkedIn

1. I have yet to try it out for myself, however it describes how to add a dynamic tooltip to a MATRIX visual, not a table visual, but you may be able to tweak your report to make this suitable.

2. It clearly demonstrates that the resulting tooltip only appears when you hover on the Total column - other columns do not trigger an annoying tooltip.

Although not perfectly meeting the requirement it does enable you to add a tooltip that has relevance across multiple rows with different dimensionality.  Hopefully MS will improve the capabilities in future so weird workarounds are not required.  If I do figure out a way to fully meet the requirement I'll drop another reply.

So mean 🙂 I found the solution already as written above, so the ticket is closed, but good to know there are other options

sorry if i phrased that in a mean way; it wasn't meant to come across that way - your responses were perfectly valid for OPs use case, but didn't quite fulfil my users' requirements.  Nor does the link I provided - it's a little closer though.   I was just hoping to direct others to the right solution for them.  My picky users wanted the capability of your second suggestion but for it only to appear when hovering over a specific column (the column content, not the header) - we have several tabular reports that humans tend to drag their mouse over when digesting - having a big tool tip obscure your view goes from "oh cool" to "eeeew, go away" quite quickly!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@BaronSdG , I doubt that happens in the case of column headers. There is description you can give in properties in the Model view. But when I tested that last time, it was not showing on the table column header

for the location of the property

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-custom-format-strings

Hi Amitchandak,
Do you have the solution to have the Column headers display the tooltip. 
For instance, the image below is a Matrix visual i have in Power Bi. I want to be able to Hover on the column headers and see certain information. For instance, If I hover on the Billable RTU's column and see (Source of Data is Agenda). 

lamlamm24_0-1708125745700.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.