Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying query changes is very slow - Oracle datasource

Hello everyone.

Please help!!

I am a newbie to Power BI and hoping to get some help here. I tried a couple of options for my problem as read in community forums but can't get it resolved.

I am trying to connect to an Oracle database through the Power BI desktop (version 2.74.5619.862 64-bit) and trying to load 1million records, which is valid and can't reduce the data set. I haven't progressed any far other than just loading and transforming the data at this stage( one date transformation step).

The issue is when I apply one small step via query editor it is taking hours (~5 hours) to apply the change in the query editor, is this a valid limitation and can't be resolved even with a premium account or is there any adjustments to the settings that can be done to overcome or reduce this time. I am really concerned about how the performance will be going forwards in using the Query editor with this dataset.

I have used Tableau to check the network speed limitation criteria and it is loading the data in less than minutes, so I don't think it is a limitation of the network.

I tried a couple of options like

1. Unchecking the preview download option in Data load

2. Changing privacy setting to Organizational

3. The auto time intelligence function is turned off.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous - One troubleshooting step is to check the memory and CPU usage on your machine. Please let us know whether one of those is an issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  - I tried the troubleshooting option, does the below looks like a huge usage? I have noticed the CPU usage varies up to 60% while I monitor the progress. I appreciate your time, thanks.

CPU_performance.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  - No, it appears that the RAM and CPU are fine. Can you do a trace to pick up what queries are running on the Oracle side and their performance? I'm not sure whether the date transformation will be sent to Oracle as part of the SQL query - "Query Folding".

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousThanks for responding. I am using a view to connect with Oracle data so will that matter from a performance perspective, I need to investigate if so. I will research a bit on query folding and see if that transformation step is slowing down the performance.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.