Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Apply same transformations to multiple tables/excel sheets

Good afternoon

I'm looking for a way for the transformations I apply to modify a set of tables or Excel sheets.

Guicar_0-1670099920232.png

Something similar to when we connect to a folder, select "combine and transform" and obtain the function automatically with the example file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's what I meant when I wrote: "Apply the transforms against one of the sheets or files, then extract the code into a function, then apply that function to all sheets or files".

A parameter can be fed from a list query.  But that's rather pointless as you can instead use that query directly in your ETL.

lbendlin_0-1670781028516.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for the reply.

I manage to do it through a parameter that focuses on a list generated with unique values of a column of a table, changing the default value that forces you to enter the parameter. But how to make the parameter have that list as a default value and not a single value of it? Or do you have put it another way to generate all the tables with the same transformation at once?

The data source function = folder applying merge and transform data, generates a sample file (which in our case would be a value of the list (list extracted from the column values of a table).
How is it solved with M code?
Thank you very much in advance to any help.

That's what I meant when I wrote: "Apply the transforms against one of the sheets or files, then extract the code into a function, then apply that function to all sheets or files".

A parameter can be fed from a list query.  But that's rather pointless as you can instead use that query directly in your ETL.

lbendlin_0-1670781028516.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Apply the transforms against one of the sheets or files, then extract the code into a function, then apply that function to all sheets or files.  Similar to what you would do in Excel where you record a macro for your steps and then examine the resulting macro to include in your code.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Carousel_PBI_Wave1

2023 Release Wave 1 Plans

Power BI release plans for 2023 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2023 through September 2023.

Power BI Summit Carousel 2

Global Power BI Training

Make sure you register today for the Power BI Summit 2023. Don't miss all of the great sessions and speakers!

Thank you 2022 Review

2022 Monthly Feature Releases

We had a great 2022 with a ton of feature releases to help you drive a data culture.