Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply row level security, but still have average values that overwrite the row filtering (Embedded)

Hi! 

Example

We are working on opening our Power BI reports to our clients through embedded Power BI. They will login to our portal, we will apply row level security based on our rules and they will enjoy their data. In this case, our clients are brand owners and row level security is applied on a brand level (See Example).

But, what we want to show to them is how much their stuff is below or above average. Or some other threshold. Almost on every visual that will be presented on the report. From the example, ideally it would be to display the red line across the column chart. Or, sometimes two visuals next to each other: one visual displaying their data, one visual displaying all data averaged. 

Looking forward to solution to my problem, as this is very important for us to move forward with Power BI.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Someone else recently posted a very similar issue. http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Embedded-and-multitenant-support/m-p/98678#M41584

What I suggested for them was:

"What I would recommend would be to do another import of your data but summarize the data in Power Query such that all of the details are removed and then base your measure calculation (if needed) on that table. So, for example, you could do a "Group By" in Power Query to remove row level detail. Then, give everyone access to that table in RLS, or portions of the table that are relevant. For example, if you summarize by industry and only want them to see the measure calculated by their particular industry."

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.