Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply filter on measure

I have this data:

studnr     course      result

101A3,7
101A7
102A4,6
103A6,6
105A9,1

I want to know to average attemps it took for a student to get a sufficient (5,5 or above) for the course. So this will be 4/3 (4 attempts, 3 persons) = 1,33: Studnr 102 does not count because he did not get a sufficient, 101 took two times and the other ones 1 time. 

I already calculated the average attemps taken for this course, which is 1,25 with this measure: 

#attemptscount = DIVIDE(COUNT(StudentResults[result]);DISTINCTCOUNT(StudentResults[studnr]))
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Sure, it goes something like this.

PassingStudentsMeasure.jpg

1. Generates the list of unique Student / Course
  2. Filters that list to show only the lines where the student had at least one score > 5.5
  3. Generates a filtered list of the course table filtered to show just the Student / Course matches from step 2.  We count this in one step but because we need the list from step 2 as a list we have to count the list from step 2 later.
  4. Then we divide the count of courses from step 3 by the count of _students (the list from step 2).

If this solves your issues please mark it as the solution. Kudos 👍 are nice too.

View solution in original post

Step 2 is what gets you the list of the 3 students that passed course A.

When you say there are studends with scores < 5.5 do you mean in step 3?  That is because you want to count all the tries for the students that passed.  One of the tries for student 101 in course A is a 3.7 but you want to count it since his 2nd try he passed with a 7

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 

I believe this will give you the result you are looking for.  It should also calculate correctly if you select multiple classes.

Avg Attempts Passing = 
VAR _Studets = FILTER ( SUMMARIZE( StudentResults , StudentResults[Course], StudentResults[Student] ), CALCULATE ( MAX ( StudentResults[Score] ) ) > 5.5 )
VAR _Classes = CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( StudentResults ), _Studets)
RETURN DIVIDE ( _Classes, COUNTROWS(_Studets) )

I have attached my sample .pbix file for you to take a look at.

If this solves your issues please mark it as the solution. Kudos 👍 are nice too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbuchanan71 Yeah it is thanks, but I don't understand this at all. Isn't it possible without those VAR things etc? Just one line, so you don't have to count it later?

Maybe use my measure and add a filter on it?

@Anonymous 

I don't know of a way to do it without the VARs or other measure feeding into this one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbuchanan71 Can you maybe explain it in detail then? 🙂

Sure, it goes something like this.

PassingStudentsMeasure.jpg

1. Generates the list of unique Student / Course
  2. Filters that list to show only the lines where the student had at least one score > 5.5
  3. Generates a filtered list of the course table filtered to show just the Student / Course matches from step 2.  We count this in one step but because we need the list from step 2 as a list we have to count the list from step 2 later.
  4. Then we divide the count of courses from step 3 by the count of _students (the list from step 2).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbuchanan71 I don't know exactly why step 2 is neccesary? Can you don't use this in the divide? Also in here why are there still students with a result lower than 5,5?

Step 2 is what gets you the list of the 3 students that passed course A.

When you say there are studends with scores < 5.5 do you mean in step 3?  That is because you want to count all the tries for the students that passed.  One of the tries for student 101 in course A is a 3.7 but you want to count it since his 2nd try he passed with a 7

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.