Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply calculation for distinct value then aggregate it

Hello everyone,

Basically I have restaurants which are opened a certain number of days per months (different numbers according to each restaurant).

Here is the formula which works perfectly on lower levels (where restaurants are distinct:

Auvs = CALCULATE(Divide(SUM('Single Items'[Pmix]),DISTINCTCOUNT('Calendar'[Date].[Day])),FILTER('Single Items','Single Items'[Sales]<>0))

The problem is if I aggregate, let's say two restaurants together, with one opened 10 days and the other 15 days it will divide everything by 15;

So I am looking for a solution where I do the calculation for each restaurant then aggregate (I cannot do a unique measure for each restaurant, there are just too many).

If anyone has any idea that would help me a lot 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those interested finally found the solution combining sumx and distinct:

Auvs = SUMX (DISTINCT('Single Items'[Restaurant]),CALCULATE(SUM('Single Items'[Pmix])/DISTINCTCOUNT('Single Items'[Date])))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please share your sample table and list the expected result for further analysis?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Angelie,

First thank you for your answer!

So here I enclose a quick example that illustrates what I would like to happend (in green) and what actually happen (in yellow).

You have a restaurant A and a restaurant B

A is opened 30 days and has 3000$ of sales

B is opened 20 days and has 1000$ of sales

What I compute is sales/days, so for A 3000/30 = 100 and for B 1000/20 = 50. So if I would like to aggregate both restaurants together I would like to obtain (3000/30) + (1000/20) = 150.

But if aggregate restaurants together it will only take the highest number of days so in my example 30 days. In the calculation it gives: (3000 + 1000)/30 = 133.

So I would like to find a way for power bi to follow the first path and dividing sales by day first then aggregate instead of aggregating and dividng by the days.

I hope it is clear :).

Hi @Anonymous,

Please try the following formula.

result =
VAR restaurant =
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( Table5[restaurant], Table5[restaurant] )
RETURN
    SUMX (
        Table5,
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( Table5[Sales] ) / SUM ( Table5[days] ),
            FILTER ( Table5, Table5[restaurant] = restaurant )
        )
    )

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Angelia,

Sorry for my late answer, I didn't have time those last days to check the formula.

So I looked into and tried to adapt it to my real data which gives this:

result =
VAR restaurant =
FIRSTNONBLANK(Stores[Restaurant],Stores[Restaurant])
Return
SUMX (
'Single Items',
CALCULATE (
CALCULATE(SUM('Single Items'[Pmix])/DISTINCTCOUNT('Single Items'[Date]),FILTER('Single Items',SUM('Single Items'[Sales])<>0)),FILTER(Stores,Stores[Restaurant]=restaurant))

)

Unfortunately, it does not loop through the restaurants does it for the first one (so the ifrst non blank) but hten stop there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For those interested finally found the solution combining sumx and distinct:

Auvs = SUMX (DISTINCT('Single Items'[Restaurant]),CALCULATE(SUM('Single Items'[Pmix])/DISTINCTCOUNT('Single Items'[Date])))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.