Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gamston
Regular Visitor

Apply additional columns and simple functions to an appended query

I have some data from Excel where i have run some simple additional columns based on the existing data (time since sample, age of vehicle, some conditional columns etc) and also performed some simple functions on existing data (change "null" to "none" etc).

I want to periodically bring in more data from Excel in the same original format, append it to the first lot of data, and i have done this successfully, Power BI has done a good job of putting the data in the right columns to join up with the original data.

However, the additional columns and calculations from the original data do not continue down into the appended data.

How can I get my enhanced info to copy down into the appended data, in as automated way as possible? Refreshing doesn't do anything. There must be a way so i don't have to re-write all these extra functions every time i bring some new data in but it's just not obvious to me.

thanks in advance.

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
colacan
Resolver II
Resolver II

@Gamston 

Hi, 

I do understand what is the issue your are facing becuase it is quite common problem most of people have.

But it might be too long to explain all here, instead, let me tell you the KEYWORD with which you can search tips, solutions to the issue.  it is "Importing Folder" (you need to study power quesry a bit to automate the process)

Hope it helps. Thanks.

Thanks - I have taken a look and found the solution (which I didn't see when i was looking before).

Basically you can re-order your applied steps, and drag the imported data up above the steps where you put in the additional columns etc. This is useful, I didn't realise that was possible!

Solved: Appending data and applying steps - Microsoft Power BI Community

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.