Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply Query is taking too long.

Hi, 

I was working on the Power BI report and on my other laptop due to RAM limitations, I had to remove 90% of tables but when I click on Apply Query with only 2450 Rows it is taking forever to load.

armughan_0-1634232918477.png

these both tables have only couple thousand rows.

How can I improve this?

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Did you add any advanced operations in your query tables? They may affect the performance and increase the processing times. (e.g. merge, combine, invoke the custom function, nested looping calculations)

Best practices when working with Power Query | Microsoft Docs
For this scenario, you can try to add the buffer functions to package the advanced operations to reduce processing time and duplicated resource costs.

Chris Webb's BI Blog: Improving Power Query Calculation Performance With List.Buffer() Chris Webb's BI Blog (crossjoin.co.uk)

Nested functions and Table.Buffer() - Exceed
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not at all, imported the data from Data Source and just deleted remove columns and it took forever and in the end I had to start over

Hi @Anonymous,

What type of data source are you working on? Did this data source also provide the interfaces to use data connectors that supported the advanced queries when power bi get data? (e.g. SQL, Oracle, ODBC, Odata...) 

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly
I think doing these data shaping operations on the data source side when getting they may help to increase the loading performances.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using SQLite database with ODBC data source to import it to Power BI.

HI @Anonymous,

You can turn on the advanced operation of odbc data connector to use SQL statement to process on the result table and modify its data structures.

Power Query ODBC connector | Microsoft Docs
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In Power Query use "Diagnose" on the last steps of your queries.  That will create statistics of the transform steps, how long they take and how much data they pull.

Most of the issues are caused by merge transforms.  See if you can avoid those and use the data model instead.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.