Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tstackhouse
Helper III
Helper III

Apply Query Changes Slow

I have a rather large set of data of approx 85M rows (unworkable). I have reducded the size by using a custom query to select only data from the past two years (approx 8M rows). I have also cut the number of columns down from 43 to 15. Still, when I try to Apply query changes, it takes quite a while (10-15 minutes).

It seems as if if has to import all of the data from SQL. Can I not connect to a live data base though a query? Or is there anything else that I can do to make things move a little faster?

3 REPLIES 3
tstackhouse
Helper III
Helper III

Is there any way that I can change from import to direct query with out having to open up a new workbook? I have quite a few custom columns that would be very time consuming to rebuild.

HI @tstackhouse,

It is possible to change import to direct query if your report only has one datasource and it support directquery mode.

You can direct click on option at right bottom corner to change mode.(if exist)

BTW, if you have lots of calculate columns on your requirement, it not suitable to change to directquery mode.

AFAIK, most of calculate functions not allow to used in calculate column when you are in direct query mode, you need to modify them to measures.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, You can do "Direct Query" option to get live data from database which will be faster than importing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.