Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CFOWood
Regular Visitor

Apply Query Changes Large Amount of Rows

Hi all,

I am having all kinds of problems with an ODBC connection to Power BI Desktop. I'm not an IT or Database expert, although I'm ok with using Power BI when the data is actually in, it's just connecting is the problem.

I had the error of "References other Queries" that is spoken of in the link 

http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/03/11/power-query-errors-please-rebuild-this-data-combination/

I now seem to have fixed that problem (for now) by creating a duplicate version of table then on the orignal table querying to the duplicated table. The problem I have is the size of the table, because there are over 5 million rows, and I have now duplicated the table. When I go to apply changes or refresh the data. The Apply Query Changes box wants to update all rows therefore it goes through 5 million rows on the original table and 5 million on the duplicated table. Is there anything I can do to stop it updating all 10 million rows it takes ages to update all of these rows, maybe just by updating one of the tables as its a duplicate?

Sorry I feel like this is something simple that I should be able to figure out but cannot seem to find something. It's frustrating whenever I make changes and then have to wait for 10 millions rows to update only to find out my changes weren't quite right, and need more changes!

Thanks in advance. Any help would be much appreciated

1 REPLY 1
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@CFOWood I am not entirely sure this will work but worth trying. Instead of going through option of duplicating your queries can you first in power bi desktop go to File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Security -> untick require user approval for new native database queries -> OK. Then import all your queries and merge them as you're trying to do and Close & Apply.

If that doesn't work then under Privacy -> Always ignore privacy levels and under Current File -> Privacy -> Ignore option. 

I can't remember for sure but I feel I have run into similar problem before and one of this trick worked for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.