Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Appending with Direct Querry error

Hi everyone,

I connect to 2 table in Excem on OneDrive normally and append them to have all data. But when I close the PowerBi Editor and import to my model, the following error appear:

NPR.PNG

I know my model just only has these 2 data and doesn't turn on Direct Query at anytime. Please let me know why this error appear. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

I can reproduce this issue if I turn on composite models in Power BI Desktop.

1.PNG
In your scenario, please disable the composite models option, then open a new PBIX file, re-connect to the excel data source, repeat the steps in situation 1 and you will be able to apply change.

In addition, please check PG's response about this issue.

"We have received several reports of issues similar to this.  The underlying issue is that the query is being mistakenly classified as DirectQuery rather than import.  We're making some improvements to this such that this does not happen, but they aren't available just yet."

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

I am unable to reproduce this issue in Power BI Desktop september version 2.62.5222.761. Does your excel file contain other data source? Could you please check the connection mode in the PBIX file?
1.PNG

In addition, instead of appending query in query editor, you can use UNION  DAX function to append tables.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I know UNION will work. I actualy just start a new PowerBI and import the data again. Here's what I found:

_ Situation 1: When Import query1 and query2 and append them sucessfuly in Power Query, I uncheck the Enable Load of the query1 and query2 then Import them into the model. Now, it shows that message.

_ Situation 2: After I successfuly append them in Power Query, I import all 3 dataset. It works, now I comeback to Power Query and uncheck the Enable Load of query1 and 2 again. It works and doesn't show the error anymore.

I don't know why this happens? 

Duc

@Anonymous,

I can reproduce this issue if I turn on composite models in Power BI Desktop.

1.PNG
In your scenario, please disable the composite models option, then open a new PBIX file, re-connect to the excel data source, repeat the steps in situation 1 and you will be able to apply change.

In addition, please check PG's response about this issue.

"We have received several reports of issues similar to this.  The underlying issue is that the query is being mistakenly classified as DirectQuery rather than import.  We're making some improvements to this such that this does not happen, but they aren't available just yet."

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.