Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

some1else
Helper II
Helper II

Append queries without refreshing the new one

Hi guys.

I have multiple queries that connect to an API and extract millions of rows and dozens of columns into Power BI.

I have split the original query into 3 because refreshing all the data at once would take up to 10hours and two thirds of it are already completed and never to be touched again.

So, now I want to append all these queries into one (as new), but as I soon as I Close&Apply to model it starts connecting to the server.

My guess is that Power Query won't see that all the data has been loaded already and tries to refresh the underlying queries that support this new one.

How do I prevent this? Is it possible to add a parameter in the first steps to control the auto update process?

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @some1else 

You can uncheck the "Include in report refresh" option for the two queries which are already completed and never to be touched again. See Managing query refresh in Power BI 

vjingzhang_0-1652954418655.png

Otherwise, every query included in report refresh will be refreshed again as Power BI will do a full refresh when a refresh operation is triggered. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

@v-jingzhang That is not how this works. Power Query will check the lineage and refresh data sources as needed (for example when they are upstream of other sources), even if they are marked as exclude.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

use incremental refresh and/or dataflows. That gives you control over which part of your data source you wantto refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.