Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HANA
Helper I
Helper I

Append operation in "Edit Query" with the mode Direct Query

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to do some casual operation as Append, Merge with the mode Direct Query ?

I know that the mode Direct Query has some limitations, i do not know if these operation (Append, Merge) are a part of these limitations ? If it is so is there some solution to do that ?

Because, I really need to create my report with the Query based of two Queries and I have the following error : "Direct Query and imported data is not supported"

There are some visuals about my problem :

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HANA,

Based on my test, Merge Queries as New, Append Queries and Append Queries as New are not supported when we connect to the same SQL Server database in DirectQuery mode, it requires us to change to Import mode, but Merge Queries is supported.

In your scenario, when you connect to the SQL Server database, you can write the query use UNION operator to append two query results directly.

a4.PNG

Reference:

DirectQuery append

Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HANA,

Based on my test, Merge Queries as New, Append Queries and Append Queries as New are not supported when we connect to the same SQL Server database in DirectQuery mode, it requires us to change to Import mode, but Merge Queries is supported.

In your scenario, when you connect to the SQL Server database, you can write the query use UNION operator to append two query results directly.

a4.PNG

Reference:

DirectQuery append

Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
HANA
Helper I
Helper I

Can you give me some clue ?  I do not find microsoft documents about the limitations of the mode "Direct Query" and these operations (Append, Union).

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.