cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Append operation in "Edit Query" with the mode Direct Query

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to do some casual operation as Append, Merge with the mode Direct Query ?

I know that the mode Direct Query has some limitations, i do not know if these operation (Append, Merge) are a part of these limitations ? If it is so is there some solution to do that ?

Because, I really need to create my report with the Query based of two Queries and I have the following error : "Direct Query and imported data is not supported"

There are some visuals about my problem :

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HANA,

Based on my test, Merge Queries as New, Append Queries and Append Queries as New are not supported when we connect to the same SQL Server database in DirectQuery mode, it requires us to change to Import mode, but Merge Queries is supported.

In your scenario, when you connect to the SQL Server database, you can write the query use UNION operator to append two query results directly.

a4.PNG

Reference:

DirectQuery append

Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HANA,

Based on my test, Merge Queries as New, Append Queries and Append Queries as New are not supported when we connect to the same SQL Server database in DirectQuery mode, it requires us to change to Import mode, but Merge Queries is supported.

In your scenario, when you connect to the SQL Server database, you can write the query use UNION operator to append two query results directly.

a4.PNG

Reference:

DirectQuery append

Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helper I
Helper I

Can you give me some clue ?  I do not find microsoft documents about the limitations of the mode "Direct Query" and these operations (Append, Union).

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power BI Super Users!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite with Arun Ulag

Featured Session: Drive Data Culture with Power BI- Vision, Strategy & Roadmap. Register here https://myignite.microsoft.com #MSIgnite #PowerPlatform #Power BI ​

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors