Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SANGST
Helper I
Helper I

Append new table row and graph point after each schedule refresh

Similar questions have been raised in the past, but i couldn't find a satisfactory answer -

I have a report with a scheduled refresh every 24 hours, currently that overwrites the previous table data each time to give the latest view, so it's impossible to track trends in the data over time.

I'm trying to find a way for each refresh to append a new row to the bottom of the table and add a new data point to a graph so i can build out the dataset overtime tracking trends automatically. This will need to contine ad finitum similar to the below:

Movement over time.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SANGST ,

You could consider using incremental refresh.

Or, you could refer to this post:  Storing and using information from a dynamic data source using PBI desktop.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SANGST ,

You could consider using incremental refresh.

Or, you could refer to this post:  Storing and using information from a dynamic data source using PBI desktop.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Icey - the "Storing and using information from a dynamic data source using PBI desktop" is exactly what i'm looking for. I will accept as the solution.

Hopefully this is something microsoft can look to implement natively in powerbi in future, without the need for complex workarounds given then obvious demand within the community?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

Hi Amitchandak, my powerbi dataset comes from a SQL query. When i refresh my dataset from with PowerBi, it replaces the existing data. The table will have one row which is the results from the latest query. When i refresh the report, it overwrites to the data, so i have the latest data, but still only one row.

My intention is instead, for the updated results to append to the table below the results from the previous query. I hope that's clearer

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @SANGST ,

How you are getting this data in power BI? Is it importing through an excel or some live connection?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

The data is from a SQL query. Each powerbi refresh the SQL query executes again, then the latest live data is imported to powerbi. It then replaces the previous results. The aim is to have it append to the bottom of the previous results, if possible instead

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.