Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KCinMelbourne
Resolver I
Resolver I

Append new data into existing PBIX imported data

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a solution to append data to an existing data set.  The system I use currently tracks resource data at a point in time.  For example the data may look as follows:

Prior Month Data Extract View

• Name, Employment Status, Role Title
  • Joe Smith, Contractor, Project Manager
  • Samantha White, Employee, Project Manager

Current Month Data Extract View

• Name, Employment Status, Role Title
  • Joe Smith, Employee, Project Manager
  • Samantha White, Employee, Senior Project Manager

Because of the nature of a PowerBI refresh, when the data changes in the source, the data from "Prior Month" will be over-written by the data now showing in the "Current Month".  Hence PowerBI also shows data as Point in Time.  This however is ineffective for reporting.  

I'd like to be able to achieve the following:

Proposed Data View

• Extracte Date, Name, Employment Status, Role Title
  • 1/1/18, Joe Smith, Contractor, Project Manager
  • 1/1/18, Samantha White, Employee, Project Manager
  • 1/2/18, Joe Smith, Employee, Project Manager
  • 1/2/18, Samantha White, Employee, Senior Project Manager

From this point, I can then use DAX/M to achieve what I need.  I suppose the question is, can I utilise PowerBI to append data on import for a given table rather than to replace data within the table? 

Pls note - I do understand that I can run exports from the system and save them as separate files to achieve this. I'm specifically asking if it's possible to achieve this same result, through a direct connection from Source Application --> PowerBI

Thanks

Kirsty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @KCinMelbourne,

I'm afraid that we may not achieve your requirement directly in Power BI.

For the workaround, you could use Append feature in Power BI Desktop. 

It seems that the structure of the table didn't change you can append the table with data for new refresh to the existing table wih data for previous data. 

In addition, you could refer to this similar thread which the workaround of MarcelBeug is similar to mine.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @KCinMelbourne,

I'm afraid that we may not achieve your requirement directly in Power BI.

For the workaround, you could use Append feature in Power BI Desktop. 

It seems that the structure of the table didn't change you can append the table with data for new refresh to the existing table wih data for previous data. 

In addition, you could refer to this similar thread which the workaround of MarcelBeug is similar to mine.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-piga-msft, I thought that was the case but I just like to confirm before building manual work arounds.

Really appreciate your feedback. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.