Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

morther
Helper I
Helper I

Append new Excel data into existing Table

In PowerBI Desktop, I have an existing table that was created by choosing “New Source” >>> “Excel” and loading our July data.  The table is called “ImportCubicPMs.”  Now I would like to append the August Excel data, exact same format, into the same “ImportCubicPMs” table.  How can I append this data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mede
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @morther

If the number of columns and column names are the same, you can connect to your new excel sheet, load it in. Then in the query editor, go to your existing table and find Append Queries in Home tab. Finally, you should unclick "Enable Load" by right clicking on the new table in Queries pane.

On the other hand, if you will have more files in the future like September, October, etc.. data; the better solution is to source data from Folder (by choosing “New Source” >>> “Folder” ). Make sure that both excel sheets are in the same folder and sheet names are the same. Then you can "Combine and Load".

If you connect data this way, every new month, you can copy the new month's excel sheet into the same folder and then "refresh" from Power BI Desktop. All files in the folder (including the new one) will be loaded in and combined.

More information here

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mede
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @morther

If the number of columns and column names are the same, you can connect to your new excel sheet, load it in. Then in the query editor, go to your existing table and find Append Queries in Home tab. Finally, you should unclick "Enable Load" by right clicking on the new table in Queries pane.

On the other hand, if you will have more files in the future like September, October, etc.. data; the better solution is to source data from Folder (by choosing “New Source” >>> “Folder” ). Make sure that both excel sheets are in the same folder and sheet names are the same. Then you can "Combine and Load".

If you connect data this way, every new month, you can copy the new month's excel sheet into the same folder and then "refresh" from Power BI Desktop. All files in the folder (including the new one) will be loaded in and combined.

More information here

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried using the solution but when loading the data i keep getting an error message "Loading blocked by failure with other queries".

Please help.

Ben

Hello !
I am a newbie in power bi and have a little query regarding refreshing excel data.

Is it possible to load the most recent data without disturbing the calculated columns?
I have created a pbix file where I have data table for 28 dec’18 along with calculated columns which i created to get some calculations like efficiency and machine utilization.
How to replace 29 dec’18 data with the existing data without removing calculated columns.

Thanks in advance

The second part of the above post is exactly what I was looking for. This works beautifully.  Thank you so much

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.