Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

michaelSBI
Frequent Visitor

Append in Direct Query (not using Dax or SQL)

Is it possible to append two queries in Direct Query?

It seems like its working but if I apply the changes it says it isnt possible in Direct Query.

(I should have the lastest update)

The problem with SQL is that i have to combine it with a lot of other tables and it seems like not working well with a complex SQL statement (union and two left joins) and Lookup Tables.

My problem is, that I have to append two tables, then Merge them with two other tables to Or-Filter on those two tables.

Kind regards,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Michael,

The source queries are direct query mode while the appended query is Import mode. The whole report is a composite-models. Is that OK? 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Michael,

There could be several approaches.

1. Appending the queries as a new query seems work. Please give it a try.

2. Create a view in the database if you have permission.

3. I would suggest you use relationships instead of Merging queries. 

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Jiascu,

if you append the query as new query it first seems like you have a direct query and you dont get a error message loading it in your model but if you go to table and look on the kind of query you see that power bi automatically changed it to import.

Unfortunately i dont have permisson to that database and i have to use append in my use case.

I just wonder why such an importing query cant get folded or if I just doing something wrong.

Kind regards,

Michael Schott

Hi Michael,

The source queries are direct query mode while the appended query is Import mode. The whole report is a composite-models. Is that OK? 

Best Regards,

Thx Jiascu,

ok to sum it up:

Append and direct query isnt working if you want to do further merges (for example with dimension tables)...

Import also has negative effects if you have really big tables.

My solution were that I didn't used appending. 

But i wonder why power bi doesnt have appending with direct query as feature, it should be technical possible?!

Hi @michaelSBI,

I think it's technically possible. But the performance should be considered first in the Direct Query mode.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.