Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Peter2
Frequent Visitor

Append Queries returns an error

Hi, When I create multiple queries and uncheck the enable load on each query and then append all the queries and carry out transformations on the appended query, when I click the apply and load I get an error " Query contains transformations that can't be used for DirectQuery". For all the queries I only use Import from the Connection Settings.

I don;t want all the queries to show up in the data model as I am importing from multiple databases but I do want the appended query to show in the data model.

Am I doing something wrong ? or how can I get the apply and load to work.

In PowerQuery in Excel I would do this using the Only Create Connection but this does not exist in Power BI and was hoping that by unchecking the enable load I could achieve the same result as Only Create Connection.

Peter

4 REPLIES 4
Phaelen
Frequent Visitor

Hi Peter,

I was having this same error and I think I found a work around or maybe this is just the way it works.  Try renabling the load on all your queries which you use to append, then append the queries and load.  Once the appended query is loaded disable the load on all the single queries.

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

to my knowledge you cannot use Direct Query with multiple databases
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery#limitations-of-directquery

in general the unchecked 'enable load' gives the same result as connection only in Excel, so the approach seems fine

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Peter2
Frequent Visitor

Hi Stachu,

Thanks for the reply.

I have used Import not Direct Query (in the Connections Setting dialog box).

I have created queries (1 per database) and for each query I have unchecked "enable load", and then created a new append query to append the queries. I then carried out transformations on the appended query and its only when I try and load the ap[pended query that I get the Direct Query error message.

Regards

Peter

@Peter2 im getting the same issue, any resolve on this?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.