Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Brendan_McLaren
Frequent Visitor

Append Queries expand column not showing for field values as text

i have combined several lists with the append queries and now the expand column function is not giving me the option, i was about a week ago now it has disappeared,

if i go to the original queries they show up as being able to expand

any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

11 REPLIES 11
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Brendan_McLaren ,

Believe that some concepts are missing in your questions when you append data you combine tables one after the other so a single table grows on number of lines, when you merge tables then you have the possibilitie of expanding columns.

Or are you appending tables that have expandable columns and you are only expanding them after the append?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

i took several lists that all have the exact same columns and have a column called fieldastextvalue that is expandable and appended them, and expanded the column

for a few weeks this worked no problems and now the exapnded columns show error and i cannot redo and append the lists again and have that field that expands. so if i take the exact same lists and try it again it doesnt work, wondering if there was an update that changed this or if there is a work around to expanding those columns

the queries that i am appending are workflow task lists form 30 different sites and lists

Hi @Brendan_McLaren ,

Have you tried it with onyl a single  list and see if the expanded column is there and if you can expand it?

What is the error code that PBI is giving you?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

i am not sure what the error is, but it looks like if i have an empty task list it causes an error through out the entire thing, this didnt happen a few weeks ago so microsoft might have updated something,

do you know how i would get that error code?

Hi @Brendan_McLaren ,

Have you tried to make the update of the data model to your PBIX file?

When you update a datasource on PBI desktop if there are errors on conversion of data it will return an error table.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

i have tried several things,

i think the error might be from a few of the lists being empty right now, if  i only use ones that have information in them then it works

but it was working a few weeks ago no problem, maybe microsoft updated something?

Hi @Brendan_McLaren ,

Can you go step by step on your query and check where it breaks the code? If it's before the expansion of the tables?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

there isn’t any code to go over, the columns can be expanded if I only append lists that contain information not just a blank list with column headers.

basically, the lists with information in them can be expanded before and after appending them, but as soon as I append a list into the mix that doesn’t contain any information all of the other data for any expanded columns just says error,

if I remove the lists that do not contain any information then the columns become expandable again.

when I originally published this report to the online the lists that currently do not contain information did not cause any errors, but now if I try and do it then there is an error, so I am wondering if there was an update in august some time that is causing this

Hi @Brendan_McLaren ,

Not exactly sure of what is happening, however believe that somenone like @ImkeF  maybe can help you because she is a M language expert.

@ImkeF , can you help on this question do you know any way to check if the sharepoint list is empty and ignore it so that when the append is made it's possible to make the expansion?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @Brendan_McLaren ,

could this be the solution to your problem?: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/07/25/how-to-expand-a-column-that-cannot-be-expanded-in-power-bi...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

that seems to have worked! thank you so much!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.