Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sbmeder
Helper I
Helper I

Append Data Merge Data

When we archive data in our ERP system it moves the transaction data from the current data ARTRAN to an archive table ARYTRN.

My DAX abilities are limited, but I would think I would need to merge? the data in order to use the DAX date and time features to compare periods of time. The data for prior years activity in in ARYTRN and current period is in ARTRAN.  I have attached screenshots of the table structures as they load from my direct query. 

BI ARTRAN and ARYTRNCapture.JPGBI ARTRAN Combine DATa.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your response. I did an import of the tables and it appended very easily.

Regards,

Scott B. Meder

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
cgaine
Frequent Visitor

You can use the DAX method UNION to merge the 2 tables within PowerBI as long as the 2 tables have the same columns. Under the modeling tab select New Table, and enter the expression below.

New Table = union(ARYTRN , ARTRAN)

Hope this helps.

Will this method work with direct query?

Thank you for your response. I did an import of the tables and it appended very easily.

Regards,

Scott B. Meder

Hi @sbmeder,

Based on my test, Append Queries and Append Queries as New are not supported in DirectQuery mode. Assume you connect to SQL Server database, in Get Data wizard, you can write the T-SQL to merge data.

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In the query editor you can append without worrying about table structure and the resulting table will have better compression.

To create one master table, you perform an append.  When you want to blend data from different tables, such as a SQL join or a Lookup (or IndexMatch) from excel, you perform a merge.

I seemed to have trouble trying to append the data. Table structures are somewhat different. For some reason, I thought I read that BI would look to see if one table had custno and invdte as data in one it would try and map in the other table?

Regards,

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.