Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JBFF
Regular Visitor

App not showing up for external users/infinite loading screen.

So I have a two fold issue here.

The first is that despite going through the proper motions to share externally, sharing an app to external users is EXTREMELY hit or miss. Mostly miss.

We have set the tenant to be able to share externally, we have a group to share externally to, every externally added user gets put into said group, and pro licenses are provisioned to any user that is put into that group. Once in there, we configure the relevant row-level security and everything SHOULD be ok. But often times it's not. I've has screenshots shared with me and have done a screenshare, and when the users log in, and no app is shared.

I've gone back to see if anything has been misconfigured and it's not. So I really don't know what's going on.

The second issue, so far has only happened to two users, both configured to the same row-level security, is that when they log in, the get the infinite loading power bi logo and you can't even log out because everything else is locked up.

Any info would help. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JBFF
Regular Visitor

It turns out that the issue was that both Power BI Free and Pro licenses were being assigned. Now it is odd that no other users were experiencing this, but as soon as I removed the Power BI free license and just had the Pro assigned, it worked.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JBFF
Regular Visitor

It turns out that the issue was that both Power BI Free and Pro licenses were being assigned. Now it is odd that no other users were experiencing this, but as soon as I removed the Power BI free license and just had the Pro assigned, it worked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting the same issue Power BI was unable to read the application metadata. Please check the PowerBI service status in the below support page and try again later. any idea what is causing this?

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @JBFF,

I have a little confused about your scenario.

I've has screenshots shared with me and have done a screenshare, and when the users log in, and no app is shared.

What's mean of this? What is the screenshot?

By my test with the scenario below, everything works as expected. Please check the steps below.

Assuming that I have add the exteranl user in my Azure AD and the guest user has Pro license.

1. Create a report which has configured with RLS and add the exteranl user's account in Member list under SECURITY;

2. Publish the app incluing the report with RLS to the external user.

3. The exteranl user will receive a notification with email then he could click the button View APP.

view app.PNG

4. After the login, the guest user could see the Restricted data.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

OK, so for the app not showing up part, I found out that even if I configure RLS, the app won't show on the user end immediately. In order to do that, I'll have to update/publish the app for it to show to new users.

As for the blinking power bi logo that loads infinitely. I think it may be an account problem.

I've tested a brand new account that hasn't been created or deleted before, and it works just fine, this was a yahoo external account.

The odd thing is, that I've added a brand new account recently, same situation as the yahoo account, except it was from the same domain as the older account and it has the same issue. The domain is pretty long one, and it's a .org domain, I don't know if that matters. But the two accounts with the long domains would produce the following message upon logging in.

"SOMETHING WENT WRONG. PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER. Technical Details: Power BI was unable to read the application metadata.

please check the Power BI service status in the below support page and try agian later. Date and time 2019-01-30 19:13:49Z

ActivityID: 03c8403c-5529-4669-8a49-c64aa8a76186"

I hope this info can help anyone find out what my issue is.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.