Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amir_tohidi
Helper I
Helper I

Anyway of scheduling Power BI Desktop PBIX file refresh?

Hi,

Because of my companys' policies, we are not allowed to use to PowerBI.com and we don't have an on-premise SharePoint server either. In other words, we use Power BI Desktop (PBD) and share the PBIX files using a shared network drive.

Given the above scenario:

1. Is there anyway I can get a PBIX file to refresh itself automatically e.g. nightly? 
  2. Does PBD have a programming model similar to Excel+VBA?

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@amir_tohidi

1. No. PBIX is just offline file, it can't update until you open it and refresh the dataset manually. But you can schedule refresh on Power BI Service.

2. There's no programming model within Power BI Desktop. It only supports Power Query and DAX to retrieve and transform data.

Regards,

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@amir_tohidi 

1. unfortunately i don't think there is any way to refresh pbix files automatically.

2. PBD has data modelling feature where you can use DAX to be able to do data transformations.

Apart from Power Update,  given your constrains, see if either of the  below is an option for you

a) Pyramid Analytics Server is an option of you. 

b) Alternately, if the data set  is not too large, see if you can get the data into some  dierct queriable database and use direct query. 

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't think that is a built in, out of the box feature but you could try PowerUpdate. Here is a link:

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2015/02/introducing-power-update/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.