Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

edhans
Super User
Super User

Any way to get the URL to a file pulled from Sharepoint in Power Query?

I've pulled a series of files via the Sharepoint Folder connection. One of the things I'd like to do in my Power BI report is give the user a clickable URL so they could open a file that shows up on the report, but I cannot figure out how to get from the full file name to a URL. Just replacing the spaces with %20 gives me a download action, not an open in Excel/Excel action, and I definitely don't want them downloading it, because they will download it, make the necessary changes, save the file, and the only file that is correct is the now useless file in their download folder.

The Excel Online link looks like this:

https://tenant.sharepoint.com/:x:/r/sites/TeamName/_layouts/15/WopiFrame2.aspx?action=edit&sourcedoc={AAAAAAAA-FFFF-8888-AAAA-123456789012}

But I cannot find that GUID in the Power Query data to build the URL.

Suggestions?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi edhans,

Based on your description, you want to create a hyperlink in power bi and let your user to click and choice if they want to download the file, right?

I'm afraid power bi doesn't have this feature. As a workaround, you can simply share the Sharepoint Folder to your users and copy the share link to table in power bi.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

No. I want them to click on the file name and open the file in Excel Online. I can make it do the download. That is what I don't want, as that creates a copy - one in the source location, and another in their Downloads folder.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi edhans ,

I'm afraid power bi doesn't have the feature currently, you can submit your idea here:

https://ideas.powerbi.com

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.