Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Penn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Any way to find out all the SQL Server tables used in Power BI automatically?

Hi Everyone,

Is there any way to set up a procedure to automatically find out all the table currently used in Power BI?

Is there a similar DMV in Dax Studio?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there,

This does not return the exact information that I am looking for. Ideally I want to see the original server name, database name, schema name and table name in SQL Server, just like when you click on "Advanced Editor" in Power Query Editor. Currently I am doing this manually but I am asuuming there is an easier way. Thanks.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v_mark
Helper V
Helper V

Never had the a chance to see any workarounds 

BI_Amy

Has anyone had any luck finding the solution for this?  Such a painful task.

ThoStart
Frequent Visitor

@IamTDR, did you ever find a solution? I am trying the same, but not succesful lately...

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

In Power BI Service, go to your report.  At the top of the screen click on the ellipsis--view dataset--show tables.
This will show the tables that are loading into your dataset.  However, if you do not load a table I dont believe it will show up here.  Plus if you rename tables within your dataset, you may still need to redownload the BI report to desktop and review in power query the table names.

I had to manually download my reports to desktop and then check each report. 😞

I hope there is a better way. It's absolutely a pain to check them 1x1 specially if you have several workspaces and tons of reports underneath.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Penn ,

You may check DMV TMSCHEMA_TABLES.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there,

This does not return the exact information that I am looking for. Ideally I want to see the original server name, database name, schema name and table name in SQL Server, just like when you click on "Advanced Editor" in Power Query Editor. Currently I am doing this manually but I am asuuming there is an easier way. Thanks.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Interested to know if you ever found a easier way to do this task?  I have over 100 BI reports that I must review to see what tables and queries they are using.  Only way I know how to do this is to download each report and review in Power Query on my desktop.

Looking for a easier way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Did you find the solution to this? I am in a similar situation.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Nope. I never did find an easier way

Anonymous
Not applicable

oh no! thanks for your reply

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.