Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JdL42
Advocate I
Advocate I

Any idea why the Fill Down option does not work ?

I have a csv file and the first colum is filled each 6 rows. I try to use the fill down option but nothing appear. Any idea ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

No , there is no difference between this two null , when u try to replace empty with null it will consider normal null only. there no italic charcters. check with replace in power Query again and u can . see my previous post image

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

check is there any error on that column 

Yes, I've done it but nothing. In fact, I notice something. If I save this CSV file in XLSX, then the field are notice empty (null) and the fill down option work. But in the CSV file, the field are just blank. I check the CSV with an editor and the separation is a tabulation. Could be the problem ?

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

cool dude, 

then we can do one thing , before fill we have to replace balnk with null. then try fill.

Hope i will help u 

Yep but any idea to remplace this blank ? I don't find any function ...

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Ya sure,

pls look this image .

1.JPG

let me know any further issue

Thanks for your advice. In fact it seems to be different between "null" (italic = empty) and "null" when I replace this value.

In this cas, the fill down option doesn't work either.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Possibly you have double quotes around "null" in your formula? If you adjust the vales as indicated there shouldn't be double quotes around null.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thank's for help. It was just an error between Null and null !

I know this is an old thread but it seems like Fill > Down should work for both blanks and null values--or include a checkbox to include or exclude blanks depending on the user's preference. Is this just an oversight?

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

No , there is no difference between this two null , when u try to replace empty with null it will consider normal null only. there no italic charcters. check with replace in power Query again and u can . see my previous post image

great, null is awesome !

Thanks

Yes ! Thank's a lot. I'm just stupid. I wrote it Null and not null... and that makes a diffence (see my screenshot). In between I worked with a excel file (was also possible) but I keep it in mind because I'll use it.

Ex_CSV_1.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.